Tannin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naz1

Reaction score
Hi all,I'm a newbie to brewing wine,I've been using chardonnay wine kits but it lacks the same mouth feel of shop bought wine,any suggestions on whether black tea would help as I've read that wine kits don't have much tannin.

I'd look more towards untoasted oak, as tea may leave some weird flavor. Also, look for yeasts that leave some diacetyl, like Red Star Côte de Blanc. These would both add to mouthfeel and be in line with what commercial producers use.

consider doing fine lees stirring, if you have nice clean lees and had a clean ferment.. after the first racking off of gross lees post ferment (when 100% done the ferment) you let the fine lees settle out and you gently stir them this can help add body to a wine. (if in doubt of your lees quality, taste them)

Chardonnay can also be put through malolactic. That will give it some mouthfeel, reduce the acidity, and produce some of the buttery diacetyl aromas. You can buy a malolactic culture at your local home brew store. Just be sure to not add sulfites until the malolactic is done.

However, something is telling me that kit wines don't always play well with malolactic, though I'm not sure why. I haven't done a kit wine in a long time, so perhaps someone else can chime in with their experience here.

Chardonnay can also be put through malolactic. That will give it some mouthfeel, reduce the acidity, and produce some of the buttery diacetyl aromas. You can buy a malolactic culture at your local home brew store. Just be sure to not add sulfites until the malolactic is done.

However, something is telling me that kit wines don't always play well with malolactic, though I'm not sure why. I haven't done a kit wine in a long time, so perhaps someone else can chime in with their experience here.

i wonder if they SO2 (sulphites) the must or juice and malo bacteria usually don't like even what is called "total SO2" of 60ppm (or 60mg/L). where yeast can handle higher so2's .. not much more. This is just my guess and i have never made a kit myself nor have i test the SO2 of a kit .

Latest posts

Back