Tannin Extraction Data: Need Input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
That's my best "Short Circuit" impersonation there... ("Need Input...")

Tannin extraction is primarily a function of temperature, ph, AND the degree to which malt husks have been perforated / shredded; most of us HBT types know this and the supposed "danger zone" temps and phs are posted here and there but if tannin extraction is a function of BOTH temp and ph then that means that at higher sparge temps we need to have lower ph sparge water to deal with it.

Does anyone have any DATA on tannin extraction rate as a function of both temp and ph? (Say temp plotted on the x axis and ph on Y axis?

Any experimentally-derived data on tannin extraction at all?

Does tannin extraction not occur at all below these thresholds or does it just occur much more slowly?

Anyone have any data on tannin extraction as a function of husk particle size and / or presence of perforated husks? (I'd love to see tannin extraction numbers between a grist milled with home brew-style knurled malt mill rollers vs. commercial slotted rollers or between different gap settings / husk sizes.)

SHOW ME THE DATA!

Adam

You can measure the polyphenol level in beer and wort and I would be most surprised if there weren't a number of papers on this in the literature and even possibly some in brewing texts.

Back