Tangy dubble need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunt194

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year and am trying to improve my Belgian dubble. I am following the recipie for the Westmalle Dubble in Beer Captured and bottle conditioning it. I am following the recipie as best I can

So on to the problem...

The beer is not consistent from bottle to bottle. Some have a nice frothy head that lasts a long time and they taste great. Some have almost no head retention and taste very tangy (but not very good). About half the bottles have this problem and 3 batches in a row now have this problem.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
Matt

Two Qs:

1- how are you cleaning/sanitizing your bottles?

2- how are you priming your beer for bottle conditioning?

I have had the problem priming with extract and corn sugar

I have tried 2 methods for cleaning the bottles. I started saoking them in a bleach solution (1 tbs per gallon) for 24 hours then rinsing twice with warm water then a quick soak in Star San. The second method was a 24 hrs soak in PBW solution followed by 2 warm water rinses and a quick soak in Star San. Have had the bad tangy taste with both methods

Could this be from oxidation?

Back