Tamarind Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you doing a minimash? If so you'll need to use around 50% 2-row to convert the starches in the wheat malt (wheat malt does not have enzymes). So I would probably use 3 lbs 2-row and 3 lbs wheat malt mashed at 150 for an hour and then sparged. Then do your boil and add your extract and hops etc. I like the idea of a tamarind beer. Isn't tamarind supposed to help with hangovers?

Ok made some changes to convert the wheat. The wheat DME is mainly cause I have some kickin around. Im hoping some sweetness from the caravienne balances out the sour tamarind.

Actually wheat malt has plenty of diastatic power to convert itself. The problem for wheat malt is that there are no husks which can cause stuck mashes.

Here's John Palmer's description cut & pasted from the online How To Brew:

"Wheat Malt 3 L Wheat has been used for brewing beer nearly as long as barley and has equal diastatic power. Malted wheat is used for 5-70% of the mash depending on the style. Wheat has no outer husk and therefore has fewer tannins than barley. It is generally smaller than barley and contributes more protein to the beer, aiding in head retention. But it is much stickier than barley due to the higher protein content and may cause lautering problems if not given a "Protein Rest" during the mash."

sweet so wheat can self converter and lautering isn't a problem since I partial mash BIAB style.

How did it turn out?

I am planning to add Tamarind to one of my recipes. I came across the hopville recipe first but...

2-1/2 lbs of Tamarind?

I have an 8 oz bag of the paste, and figured I'd be adding an ounce or two at flameout.

I might just throw in a guess at flameout, I was looking for other recipes to see how much other people use.

Back