Talking Yeast with Wyeast (long-form video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texabamasota

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkwp_2Yezo

Owen Lingley from Wyeast Laboratories discusses the following (in loose order): Wyeast's history, new yeast strains for 2012, Activator "smack" packs, yeast starter recommendations, pitch rates, temperature and flavor/ester influence, harvesting and reusing yeast, approximating yeast count by percent solid by volume, aeration, attenuation, force-ferment test, VDK testing, yeast strain selection, flocculation, and collaborations with Northern Brewer Homebrew Supply.

Loved this vid.

Many interesting pieces of info. One thing that jumped out to me was that the best way to oxygenate your wort is a 45 sec violent shaking. Also interesting was that shaking for 5 hours will not add any more oxygen then a good 45 second shake.

Loved this video! Maybe I'm blind... Or not searching in the right places, but this is the first place where I've gotten concrete advice on pitch rates for a clove-y hefe. I have read time and again about under oxygenating and underpitching... & temp will control the balance. But he says thats not entirely the whole picture. Always just pitching a vial, or smack pack and trying to manipulate the temp, has not yielded the intense spiciness that we wanted. So on Owen's advice I pitched 300 billion cells into my 1.055 dunkelweiss last night. Gonna let it ride low in temp then come up at the end. Pitched at 15.5 mil/ml. Almost triple what everyone has said makes a good hefe (banana bombs are great too, just not what i want)...I'll take the advice of this guy any day.

great video, props to the northern brewer guys (chip) for posting it up.

I stumbled across this video in the Northern Brewer forums the other day, I'm glad someone posted it here as well.
This is an excellent discussion on yeast, it is a must watch for anyone interested in the subject.

Back