Talk to me about BrewPi (for Ferm Monitoring Only)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To any of you that use BrewPi or something similar to monitor your fermentations, I have some general questions.

First off...I realize these systems can control the Ferm Chambers, but I have a lovely Love controller on each of my Ferm fridges that do that fine...what I want is a nice logging and remote monitoring platform to handle this (and possibly take the place of the Love's if they ever were to fail in the future).

Currently I have two mini-fridges that serve as my Ferm Chambers.

So here are my questions:

1) is a system like the BrewPi all I'll need? (assuming I buy the one-wire temp probes for it as well) I mean it's a RaspberryPi device right? It should have the remote web interface in it yes?

2) Are there any other systems out there that I should look at?

3) Anyone ever tie one of these into the data that comes out of a BeerBug or Tilt?

Thanks!

Here are some answers:

1) Yes, BrewPi will do all that you are asking for. With some caveats... It's not a Raspberry Pi device. The Raspberry Pi is only the webserver for the device. In fact I installed that portion on an older laptop running Debian OS. The controls are handled by either a Arduino Uno or Spark Photon. And to handle multiple fridges you have to set up multiple instance of the software. It is easy enough however.

2) There are a few; CraftBeerPi, the STC1000+, and a few others. I think that the BrewPi is easily the best of the bunch however.

3) It is possible to incorporate the Tilt in the interface. There is some information regarding the Tilt (Brewometer) over on the BrewPi forums. I am unsure of the BeerBug.

You should visit the DIY BrewPi Thread on HBT. There are a number of very helpful members in that thread. The newer hardware available through BrewPi is probably more than you are looking for since it's ultimate goal is total brewery control, but it is taking forever to get there.

The DIY thread I pointed to will help you build one for much cheaper...

Last edited:
The BrewPi only monitors one thing?
Wow...that's rather upsetting.

Can you run multiple instances on the same Pi?

I will check out that thread however.
Is the OP still relevant? or should I jump to the end?

Yes, only one instance per Arduino Controller but the Pi can handle multiple instances. I have three instances running.

There is a link to a DIY Wikia Page that is the most current information. You can skip to the end, but will undoubtedly miss some important information.

There are also some BrewPi variants out there that may be worth reseraching:

Thorrak has the Fermentrack and
pocketmon has the BrewPiLess

The Fermentrack project has me very intrigued, but I haven't gone down that particular rabbit hole yet...

Back