Taking my brewing setup to the next level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edecker

Reaction score
Good morning fellow homebrewers!

I’m looking for some guidance/advice. I’ve been homebrewing on and off for about three years now, and I’d like to step my game up into making it a more regular habit. Due to space and climate constraints, I’d really like to transition into being able to brew 5g all-grain batches indoors.

I have pretty much everything I need for your run-of-the-mill brew day: a 10g kettle, a solid mash tun, a nice HLT, a good brewing thermometer, etc. What I don’t have is the technical savvy or tools to install heating elements, transfer pumps, or any advanced analytics tools.

Does anyone have any guidance or recommendations about how they made the transition from outdoor, propane brewing to more advanced indoor brewing? Would the intermediary of building a tower or two-tier setup be advisable before trying to convert to all electric? I’m open to spending some money on this project, I’m just not sure where to start.

My opinion is decide what you want to build, and build it. YouTube has every question answered and technique you'll need. I once rebuild a 4L80E transmission out of my work truck from a youTube video. No kidding, and it worked. Just do it. As Henry Ford said,
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

So the know-how you have, experience you'll gain. Tools are another matter. Buy 'em as you need them. Find solutions. If you can't afford a welder you can cut your parts and bring them to someone to weld for you.

At the risk of sounding like Deepak Chopra, you can build anything that you believe you can build.

Head over to the Electric Brewing forum. There's a bunch of people over there that can help you out. Start thinking about what you want to accomplish with your system and how you want to get there. I'd assume you know what BIAB is, and it's pretty popular with electric brewing because you only need one vessel. If you don't know what HERMS and RIMS are, do some Googling. I feel like I'm the king of buying things twice, and I would recommend against the intermediary method. In the end it's just money wasted that you could've put into a nicer all-electric setup or just saved for something else.

Good morning fellow homebrewers!

I’m looking for some guidance/advice. I’ve been homebrewing on and off for about three years now, and I’d like to step my game up into making it a more regular habit. Due to space and climate constraints, I’d really like to transition into being able to brew 5g all-grain batches indoors.

I have pretty much everything I need for your run-of-the-mill brew day: a 10g kettle, a solid mash tun, a nice HLT, a good brewing thermometer, etc. What I don’t have is the technical savvy or tools to install heating elements, transfer pumps, or any advanced analytics tools.

Does anyone have any guidance or recommendations about how they made the transition from outdoor, propane brewing to more advanced indoor brewing? Would the intermediary of building a tower or two-tier setup be advisable before trying to convert to all electric? I’m open to spending some money on this project, I’m just not sure where to start.
Grainfather?
Induction plate?
Stove?
Maybe.

I used to brew indoors on stove and swore I loved it. I am soooo much happier outside. I make messes and laugh. It can cost a lot of money to recreate outside, inside. The grainfather as it comes down in price seems hard to beat. Otherwise a heatstick/kettle mounted element and a way to control it. I like cheap and simple, based on what I see, i am in the minority.

I am actually back inside experimenting with no boil. This isnt a bad idea either.

Back