Taking care of your crown after harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperry

Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching for information about how to care for the hops crown after you've harvested, and the bines start to die back. I cannot find much info. I know that I should keep the bines up, for first year plants, but I have no idea if I need to keep watering. I live in san diego, and there is going to be a lot of dry weather. Common sense tells me I should water them, to keep em alive, but I just don't know... Im sure it'll be awhile before they feel any cold weather/ go dormant. Do I keep watering? The bines are basically dead after harvest a month ago. Thank you in advance.

If they're not actively growing they don't need too much water at all, basically just enough to keep them from drying out over the Winter. By this point they've got a decent root system to help them acquire any water they'll need until Spring comes. A couple inches of mulch will help keep the moisture in the ground below.

Normally people cut the bines to the ground. I think a lot of people cover the plant area with mulch for the winter too. I haven't done anything to mine in the years I've had them. Just cut the bines to the ground. I don't think watering will be of any benefit if you've cut the plant down.

Latest posts

Back