Taking apart refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
Water got inside of refractometer last brew day. Placed it inside of tuperware full of rice to get rid of moisture which worked nicely, now I have what appears to be "water stains" (not sure if that is a thing) distorting the readings.

Has anyone taken a refractometer apart to clean? I have only used this thing 6-7 times and really do not want to spend any more money than I have to.

I was just looking at my refractometer and I saw no easy way to take it apart. You could try cleaning it with a bit of vinegar mixed with distilled water. You probably have hard water marks on the lens. I can't guarantee this will work, so I think it would be a last resort if nothing else works.

I had the same problem this week. Let me ask you this, did you store yours up right? I sat mine up right, as in the eye piece facing the counter, and thats when I had the issue. I had been wanting a new one with sg reading so I just took this as a sign to order a new one.

Just had similar problem, tried the rice thing and it worked short term. Next method was hairdryer to get the moisture out. Still have a few streaks in the background but it is working much better. Also borrowed the daughters clear nail polish and sealed the outside of the glass lens to prevent water from getting back in. You really can't take it apart enough without removing that beveled glass lens on mine and I was afraid I'd crack it.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try soaking it in vinegar. Water most likely got into it either from the miserable, cold rain last Friday (did two batches outside). I store the refractometer in the hard blue plastic box it came in.

If the vinegar doesn't work I'll try opening it up (there are two little screws on the bottom). I see refractometers on e-bay with the SG readings on them for cheap as well, hopefully I won't need to buy one.

I wouldn't soak it in vinegar. The one I have has a coating of blue paint inside that acts as the background. I'd be afraid that vinegar or some other liquid would strip out the color and then you have nothing.

Back