Taking a look at DIY corny keg cleaners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the SS Brewtech Keg Wassher, and started to like the design... but the price is not as appealing.

I then started looking at all of your DIY options, and was about to pull the trigger... until I learned about the “oil cooled motor” issues. The superior pump seems to be a favorite, but I don’t like the (very few...) reports of it leaking oil.

I’m curious what others think of the 1/4 hp Superior Pump from amazon?

Alternatively, I’m considering two smaller pumps, similar to the Marks Kegwasher pump? I’m thinking one for the spray, and one for the diptubes?

And while I’m at it: what would you build it with? 1/2” PVC risers with a 1/2” CIP ball? Or 3/4 PVC risers with a 3/4” CIP ball?

I went with a fairly basic setup. I bought a stainless housing dirty water submersible pump from harbor freight on sale, I believe it is 3/4 HP.

From there, I threaded on PVC adapters and glued it together, adding in ports to attach two tubes to QD's so that I can also purge those.

The main outlet for the pump goes to a straight copper tube that just blasts the solution straight up with high velocity.

To use, I just fill it with hot water from the tap, cleaning powder (either PBW or oxyclean), and then just let it run.

I really only use mine now for my big plastic fermenters though (30 gallon and 55 gallon), for my kegs, I just rinse out, fill with hot water and a scoop of oxyclean, and then rinse out the next day. I do have a manifold to purge water through the QD's at my sink that I use to clean the dip tubes as well though.

Yup, you need some decent spray power, 1/4 HP may be bare minimum, I'd rather go for 1/3 HP or more, especially with a CIP ball.

The "Marks" pump is wussy compared to that.

A pump will only leak oil when something is wrong, bad seals, cracked mantle, etc. That shouldn't happen during our occasional use unless it was defective from the start.

Latest posts

Back