Specialty IPA: Black IPA Tailgate Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Chocolate / caramel taste with a grapefruit aroma
This post is a lot of firsts, this is my first all grain batch and my first recipe.

I wanted to brew a black IPA and had to make do with grains I had on had since there is no place locally to get grains. I wanted to brew a beer an IPA with that west coast hop flavor and chocolate notes without losing the caramel smoothness that I love in my IPA’s. After chewing a lot of grains I came up with this simple recipe.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 59.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook - Leaf [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 22.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade - Leaf [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1 lbs Dextrose (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 7.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade - Leaf [5.50 %] – Dry Hop Hop 11 0.0 IBU
The brew day was a big learning curve (AKA Disaster..) I missed my original mash temp by 15 degrees, used direct heat to bring it up to temp but melted the insulation on my mash tun (lesson learned) and clogged up my false bottom but despite all of that this beer turned out great. I have done many extract + grain brews and I’m very happy with the switch to AG the taste is great.

This beer has a great chocolate / caramel taste despite the high IBU’s. The cascade dry hop gave this a great aroma. I just bottled 40 grolsh bottles this morning but kept a liter to carb in the soda stream for a taste test.

Oh and since i don't have a brewing stand i made this on the bed of my truck... hence the name.

IMG_8357.jpg

IMG_8363.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

Bumping this thread to say I'm gonna give this a shot. I've got some Amarillo and cascade on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was quite happy with this brew, i'd recommend it!

Bumping this thread to say I'm gonna give this a shot. I've got some Amarillo and cascade on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I may have to try this recipe as well. I have made 2 of my own recipe black ipas just changing the hops. I have one in the fermenter now.

I have made this a few times since then and everytime it goes fast!

Back