Syrup Info To Share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retroangles

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Dave and I live just outside Boise Idaho. I have been into home brewing since 1990, but over the last ten years have only brewed less than a hundred gallons. Just kind if lost interest, in both drinking and brewing beer.
During the last few years I grew an attraction to Redbull simply Cola. As most can guess I was really bummed when they discountinued the product. Having no other alternatives, I started doing research into making my own. I was stumped on how to carbonate, but eventually settled on the SodaStream system. Though it does work for what I am doing, I was really bummed at the quality if the syrup available. It just sucks plain n simple, and I could find no other alternative really. After many nights searching the net for info, and recipes, I am pleased to say I have come up with a great system for making my Cola, along with other flavors of syrup. The batch yields two gallons of syrup, and I use about 6-8 ounces per liter of carbonated water. For those that do not have a SodaStream, my wife mixes it with plain seltzer water. It is a little less carbonated, but works. I get my flavorings from Seelect Tea. Which lucky for me us available local to me at a few places. Here is the basic recipe:

1 gallon distilled water
2 ounces flavor extract
3/4 to 1-3/4 cup lemon and or lime jc
15 lbs pure cane sugar

In large stainless pot I put on med high heat. And add in the order listed. Mix until sugar is well blended. And finally skim off any scruffy stuff as it cools. When cool, I funnel into gallon water jugs, and refridgerate. My cola recipe has another ingredient or two. Some people I have heard like to brew 35 bags of Yerba Mate tea to give the cola a good caffeine kick. I currently have mango, lemon lime, and Boysenberry flavors ready to try. And I think my Cola is the best I have ever had. And keep in mind these are all 100% natural. Hope this helps someone as much ad it dud me. Dave K...

Great info! I just got a soda stream for my birthday and I didn't want to buy their syrup refills. Also - have you heard of a site where you can get an adapter for the CO2 cartridge? I would like to have them filled by the local paintball field, but the threading on their CO2 is proprietary.

:tank:

Back