syllabus for a masters in home brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryandtrevor

Reaction score
So what I'm asking for here is a good list of beer styles or types to run through to get from brand new brewer to old Zen master of brewology. Personally I've done 12 batches 9 extract and 3 biab so far. Been at it less than 6 months. Make it as serious or silly as u want but a list of styles to try to sharpen skills or refine a pallet is the aim. Thanks in advance.:tank:

Buy the book "Brewing Classic Styles" and make every single recipe. Repeat recipes until you feel the results are great. Could take a lifetime, but brewing more is the best way to master it.

Agreed with the book recommendation. Brew every style and then brew them again until they're refined. Even consider small batches if you're going to be brewing that much in a short time.

There are awesome recipe on this site. I would strongly recommend you go in the recipe section and there is at the top a post giving all the best. It will give you good idea of what you like and how to use each ingredient. Very useful.

After nearly 20 years of 5-6 gallons brews and contemplating stepping up to 10's, I am now looking at brewing more often with 1 to 2 gallon batches so I can test ideas faster.

I agree with brewing books from that book. But also, just experiment. Be outside the box and make a style you haven't before. That's kindof what i do. I never made a saison, so that was my second to last batch. Never made a strong scotch ale, so that was my last batch.

- ISM NRP

I'll play. I'd try to broadly master a wide range of beers which categorically offer different techniques to learn. If you can pull off a beer successfully in each of these categories, you'll be a bit of a zen brew-master.

1. Bright hoppy ale (say IPA)
2. Roasty dark ale (say American Stout)
3. Low gravity session ale (like an English ordinary bitter)
4. High gravity chewy ale (like an English Barley wine)
5. Moderate gravity ale (like an American Amber or English Brown)
6. High gravity lager (like a dopplebock)
7. Hoppy lager (like a Czech pils)
8. Cool fermented hybrid beer (like a Kolsch)
9. Belgian Trappist style ale (dubbel, tripel, dark-strong)
10. Sour beer (like a gueuze)
11. Wheat ale (like a Belgian wit)
12. Spice beer (like a pumpkin ale)

Back