syl 2352 voltage leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I've wired 2 30a 240v circuits to power 2 5500w elements. These are being controlled by 2 mechanical definitive purpose contactors and a ssr being controlled by the 2352. I set up everything as laid out on the electric brewry site. I powered everything up and it all works fine except when the pv is higher the sv, it doesn't shut off the ssr it only reduces the ssr output to 120v from 240v. I Read somewhere that if you do not have your elements plugged in this is normal. But that makes no sense to me and my limited understanding of electrical components.

I've wired 2 30a 240v circuits to power 2 5500w elements. These are being controlled by 2 mechanical definitive purpose contactors and a ssr being controlled by the 2352. I set up everything as laid out on the electric brewry site. I powered everything up and it all works fine except when the pv is higher the sv, it doesn't shut off the ssr it only reduces the ssr output to 120v from 240v. I Read somewhere that if you do not have your elements plugged in this is normal. But that makes no sense to me and my limited understanding of electrical components.
This is exactly what you should see (depending on where you place the meter probes.) Turning the SSR off only switches one leg of the 240V supply. The other leg, at 120V, is still powered, and if you measure between the load SSR terminal and ground or neutral, you will read 120V, since the ~10 ohm resister (your element) between the unswitched hot leg and your meter probe will not cause a voltage drop because there is almost no current flowing thru it.

Brew on :mug:

Back