Swollen yeast pack arrived now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So it’s imperial juice yeast and I’m thinking of just making a starter for it rather than put it in the fridge. Was planning on brewing this weekend and just pitching the pack with no starter but it got activated in the longer transit time and now the Michigan heat. So if I make a starter for it now, fridge it, And I can’t brew this weekend will it be good in two weeks when I’ll have time to brew again. Thanks

I think you could even fridge it now and make a starter later, but, yes I would definitely make a starter rather than direct pitch that pack to be sure.
I've had a couple packs arrive on my doorstep baking hot, but they were good to go in a starter and worked fine in the beer. I suspect the advise to only order liquid in the winter, etc, is mostly applicable in practice to people who are direct pitching and they just throw it out there as as a catch all disclaimer to be on the conservative side.
But I could be wrong.

Ok yeah I’m gonna make a starter now. normally my lhbs has what I need but their hit due to being closed and slow shipping so I had to order, and usually it’s fine but delays in Detroit at usps are adding 1-2 days transit time. I always buy an ice pack for the yeast but The ice pack was totally melted when I just opened the box.

So it’s imperial juice yeast and I’m thinking of just making a starter for it rather than put it in the fridge. Was planning on brewing this weekend and just pitching the pack with no starter but it got activated in the longer transit time and now the Michigan heat. So if I make a starter for it now, fridge it, And I can’t brew this weekend will it be good in two weeks when I’ll have time to brew again. Thanks

What do you mean by "activated?" You certainly have less viable cells because of the heat than you would have if the pack had not been warm. But there should not have been any food source in the pack to "activate" anything.

Ok yeah I’m gonna make a starter now.

You'd be better off making the starter closer to your brew day. The only advantage to making it now would be to prove there are (or aren't) still some viable cells sooner, so you could replace the yeast if necessary.

So if I make a starter for it now, fridge it, And I can’t brew this weekend will it be good in two weeks when I’ll have time to brew again.
Yes it will be fine in two MONTHS when you have time to brew again. Yeast doesn't degrade very fast when refrigerated.

Yes it will be fine in two MONTHS when you have time to brew again. Yeast doesn't degrade very fast when refrigerated.

Back before White Labs came out with PurePitch, they used to cite 75%-85% viability after one month. I would guess that might be a reasonable estimate for Imperial.

What do you mean by "activated?" You certainly have less viable cells because of the heat than you would have if the pack had not been warm. But there should not have been any food source in the pack to "activate" anything.

Unless it's a "Smack Pack" with the internal yeast food packet. I've had those leak and swell the pack prematurely. I use all dry now whenever possible.

Unless it's a "Smack Pack" with the internal yeast food packet. I've had those leak and swell the pack prematurely. I use all dry now whenever possible.

Imperial Yeast doesn't make smack packs.

Imperial Yeast doesn't make smack packs.

ok please forgive me. “Activate” was the wrong choice of words but he yeast was def degassing/degrading due to the heat causing the pack to really swell so I made a starter anyway to make sure the pack was still viable, it’s already kicked off So looks like im good. I also had a LA3 pack that swelled a tiny bit but I could feel the activation pack was intact so that I just put it in the fridge. I was planning on using the imperial yeast for my next brew anyway.

Yeah... seems like that's a Wyeast thing. Liquid yeast is the only time yeast is a PitA.
Why do you say this? My admittedly limited experience with the Wyeast packs has been quite good. The only thing with the smack-packs that is odd to deal with is timing, but that becomes easy after the first couple of times.....?

Why do you say this? My admittedly limited experience with the Wyeast packs has been quite good. The only thing with the smack-packs that is odd to deal with is timing, but that becomes easy after the first couple of times.....?
Wet yeast is more expensive. Wet yeast needs to be shipped cold. Wet yeast packs swell. Wet yeast dies. Wet yeast recommends starters.
Dry yeast... ship it warm. Toss it in. Stir... beer.
That's why.

The only time I deal with wet yeast is when I'm brewing something Belgian or a Hefe and the most desirable yeast for that style is a wet variety. Other than that, its dry yeast every time for ease of use. If it's something Double or Imperial, I'll make a starter with dry and the canned wort a day or two ahead just to hit it harder. If it's an IPA or stout or a standard ale, I usually use Nottingham or Windsor sprinkled on top and life is good.

Last edited:
Back