SWMBO Slayer, REALTIME Troubleshoot, 10 mins into boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OsbornBrewing

Reaction score
floaties.jpg

Any idea what these floaties are? They don't seem to be growing, they don't stir away though either, they showed up as I got to boil temps.

Following SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde by the book, recipe, no additions, subtractions or exchanges.

I think you have a Red X infection.

Or it could be hot break too.

Helps to link through something taht doesn;t require an account or pre-approved permissions to view photo's with. Like webshots or flickr.

Or try uploading directly from your PC. Never works for me tho'.

I see no pic. When I click on the link, also no pic.
You could upload it to your gallery here.

My guess is the floaties are either hops, break material, or maybe some bits of grain you missed.

In any case, there's no point worrying about it.

The pictures aren't working but more than likely you are just getting break material...proteins and such. You should see it with a high concentration of pilsner malt, it looks like egg drop soup.

I'm sure you will be fine, it will all precipitate out when you chill it.

I think it's an infection, probably best to restart your brew day.

Kidding of course, sounds like hot break to me also.

Yes revvy looks exactly like that. Sorry bout the confusion, was trying to post up from my iPhone. Thought that was a public folder...

So, what is hot break and what does it do? besides look ugly?

Thanks for the taunting too btw, I appreciate it, as I was frantically trying to figure out wtf was going on!!! RDWHAHB, right? On my second right now :)

From how to brew;

The foam is caused by proteins in the wort that coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot. You will see particles floating around in the wort. It may look like Egg Drop Soup. This is called the Hot break and may take 5-20 minutes to occur, depending on the amount of protein in your extract. Often the first hop addition triggers a great deal of foaming, especially if hop pellets are used. I recommend waiting until the Hot break occurs before doing your first Hop addition and timing the hour. The extra boiling time won't hurt.

That's pretty much all there is to it...it's coagulating proteins.

From the wiki-Hot break is the protein that coagulates as foam on top of the wort before the boil starts, and as it reaches a boil it "breaks" due to its collected mass and falls out to the bottom of the kettle.
It's a good thing to have happen. It will clarify the end product. If you still have reservations, you can always ferment, bottle, and send them all my way. I'll let you know if it turns out to be poison. :mug:

From the wiki-Hot break is the protein that coagulates as foam on top of the wort before the boil starts, and as it reaches a boil it "breaks" due to its collected mass and falls out to the bottom of the kettle.
It's a good thing to have happen. It will clarify the end product. If you still have reservations, you can always ferment, bottle, and send them all my way. I'll let you know if it turns out to be poison. :mug:

Bah! Haven't tossed a batch yet!! A couple probably should have been. My chem E prof told me that no known pathogens grow in beer wort or wine. My thought is: It's drinkable or I discover "the one" and become famous!

Thanks for all the help guys! Appreciate it a lot.

blonde1.jpg

Now that's a hot blonde. Came in at 1.046, should have been 1.055... I think that just means less ABV, no?

Yes, less ABV and will probably be more bitter that expected but the chicks will dig it.

Bah! Haven't tossed a batch yet!! A couple probably should have been. My chem E prof told me that no known pathogens grow in beer wort or wine. My thought is: It's drinkable or I discover "the one" and become famous!

Your chemE prof was correct...might give you the collywobbles or make you puke, but won't kill ya.

Put thi beauty in bottles this weekend and it was all I could do to not drink some. This blonde looks and smells GREAT! I can't wait to try it:mug:

From how to brew;

That's pretty much all there is to it...it's coagulating proteins.

Yeah, it is coagulating protein, however John has got it wrong :eek::eek:, and it takes an awful lot longer to secure the 'hot break' that 15-20 minutes. The picture that was used (from my site :D:D), was taken just after the immersion chiller went in at 75 minutes into the boil. Generally the minimum time that the hot break event takes to occur is 60 minutes, depending on the vigour of the boil, and if your boil is not a hard rolling boil can take as long as 90 minutes or more to achieve.

The late great Dave Line, wrote in his book 'The Big Book Of Brewing' (late 70's) and used the phrase "Boil, with the hops, to secure the hot break" . . . . if this is only 15-20 minutes into the boil then there isn't going to be a lot of bitterness extracted. Us UK Brewers refer to the foam generated as the wort comes up to the boil as 'coppering up' . . . and it is down to the brewers preference as to whether or not that foam is skimmed, left alone, beaten back into the wort, add hops before the foam or wait until the foam subsides before adding hops. Certainly adding hops before the wort coppers up does control the foaming period . . . but there is less alpha acid extracted from these hops (First Wort Hops), I suspect because of a coating of proteins on the hops prevents contact with the wort. . . . plus it gets removed with the rest of the hot break at the end of the boil.

That Blonde looks like a nice beer though :rockin:

Back