Switching it up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boombrewer

Reaction score
So I just moved to Hawaii and it seemed like a good time to switch things up (...take the next step?). I'm moving from a cooler masher tun to a 15 gallon 1.2 Megapot. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

I just wanted to increase my mash tun size to handle larger grain bills (reason for change). And I figured it would give me more control. But I'm not sure I should start doing decoction mashes.

I did the searches so if I missed something in there don't be too harsh. Thanks for he advice!

Thanks guys. Hawaii is beautiful.
I guess my original post is a little miss leading by referencing decoction mashes. Part of the reason I made the switch is to start doing step mashes to take advantage of the different rest periods instead of doing a single step, infusion mash at the sac rest possibly followed by a mash out.
Since I've been on a brewing hiatus while I moved, I've dropped some of the terminology and research details from memory and I'm still digging back through it all.

If you have a second boil kettle handy with a 5 gallon capacity, I don't see why doing a decoction would be a real problem. All you need is the 5gallon pot and a way to heat it while your 15 gallon pot holds the mash.
Decoctions are fairly easy. For a single decoction, a one-third portion of your grain and liquid mash gets removed to the 5 gallon pot and boiled, then when it's finished, re-added to the original mash.

I moved from a cooler to a stainless steel ANVIL kettle for one big reason. You can do step mashes with a kettle because the cooler won't withstand direct heat. When using less modified malts, I tend to grind a portion of the grist to near flour and mash longer. If you keep the mash in the alpha and beta amylase saccharification ranges a bit longer it helps render a more fermentable wort.
Depending on the beer style I want, I will start a mash, decoct once, and add extra amylase in an extended mash to render a dry ale. Otherwise, it's a step mash up to the 145-155F range and hold.

Latest posts

Back