Switching beer between kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zegolf

Reaction score
Luckily enough, my LHBS (MDHB) is going to let me swap out my pin-lock-converted-to-ball-lock kegs to true ball-lock kegs. I wanted to do this, because the size of my current kegs is too wide for my kegerator. Last friday, I racked a stout to one of the kegs and it's currently SIAFI carbing.

I would like to swap both of the kegs at the same time, but can't even begin to think of the logistics of purging the keg, draining it into some type of sterile fermenting bucket or something, and then racking into a sterilized keg later that night, setting the CO2 back to carb temp, and letting it go.

Am I crazy to think I could pull something like this off, or should I just wait until the second keg is empty and swap one out now (it's empty) and the other one, later?

Thanks!

With a little creativity with your QD's, you could hook up your gas to the gas in on your current keg, then run the liquid out on that keg to the liquid out on the new keg - this way, you'd fill the new keg from the bottom. Then just use the gas pressure to push the beer from one keg to the other. You'd just need to vent pressure from the new keg to allow the beer to get transferred into it from the old keg.

With a little creativity with your QD's, you could hook up your gas to the gas in on your current keg, then run the liquid out on that keg to the liquid out on the new keg - this way, you'd fill the new keg from the bottom. Then just use the gas pressure to push the beer from one keg to the other. You'd just need to vent pressure from the new keg to allow the beer to get transferred into it from the old keg.

Oh...wow. Ingenious, for sure, but I might just take the easier road and drink it all!

Haha, thanks for that idea!

Ask if you can take the new kegs home to transfer, then bring the old ones back. Transfers from one to the other under pressure. Easy Peasy. Beer out to Beer out, hookup co2 to the one currently containing your beer, turn co2 just barely on to get flow (2-3psi). Leave the vent open on the one you're transferring to.

No real logistics. Pretty simple.

AKA, exactly what strat said :eek:

Latest posts

Back