Switch elements during brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has a controller for just one element but 2 pots with elements and switches between them during a brew?

I was thinking the BK and HLT for a batch sparge example - after mash and sparge unplug the the HLT and plug in the BK element. Reason being controllers seem to jump about $1000 when they control 2 elements.

That is what I do with my Auber cube, it works fine. A soon as element in BK is covered with wort during fly sparge, I move the power cable and sensor probe wire off HLT to BK and start heating for boil.

I then run the HLT off a uncontrolled cable if I want to heat sanitation water while boiling. A second or double controller would be nice, but not a spending priority for me right now.

Just curious if anyone has a controller for just one element but 2 pots with elements and switches between them during a brew?

I was thinking the BK and HLT for a batch sparge example - after mash and sparge unplug the the HLT and plug in the BK element. Reason being controllers seem to jump about $1000 when they control 2 elements.

That is what I do with my Auber cube, it works fine. A soon as element in BK is covered with wort during fly sparge, I move the power cable and sensor probe wire off HLT to BK and start heating for boil.

I then run the HLT off a uncontrolled cable if I want to heat sanitation water while boiling. A second or double controller would be nice, but not a spending priority for me right now.

Nice. I thought I could get into it that way without breaking the bank and maybe play around with a 2 vessel setup like breweasy. But if I stuck with batch sparge and it was a hassle switching, get a dedicated Boil controller down the road.

For your "uncontrolled cable" - do you have another 240V outlet?

I don't know why you don't see anyone offering a controller with a PID for the HLT/Mash, and a simple dial controller for the boil. I don't see the point of a PID for the boil.

You can build a simple pid controller for the hlt quite easily and for a lot less $$ than buying one.

What you'll need:
PID + Probe + SSR/heatsink ($25 combo on amazon)
Plastic junction box
Toggle switch
Outlet
Gfci power cord
Bit of wire
Ring terminals
Soldering iron+solder

You should be able to get all that for about $50.

Depending on your element wattage, you might even get away with just an inkbird temp controller for ~$35.

You can build a simple pid controller for the hlt quite easily and for a lot less $$ than buying one.

What you'll need:
PID + Probe + SSR/heatsink ($25 combo on amazon)
Plastic junction box
Toggle switch
Outlet
Gfci power cord
Bit of wire
Ring terminals
Soldering iron+solder

You should be able to get all that for about $50.

Depending on your element wattage, you might even get away with just an inkbird temp controller for ~$35.

I know the markup is crazy. I'm not looking to build one myself though, I don't have the time or knowledge. That would be pretty cool though.

For your "uncontrolled cable" - do you have another 240V outlet?

Yes, I have another outlet.

Blichmann makes a simple boil controller for about half the price of their Brew Commander. Both of these together are about the price I paid for the Auber, and I probably would go that way if I were to do again.

Yes, I have another outlet.

Blichmann makes a simple boil controller for about half the price of their Brew Commander. Both of these together are about the price I paid for the Auber, and I probably would go that way if I were to do again.

What do you think would be the best way to have 2 Boil Controllers wired for a brew area (in garage)? I was thinking a 60Amp spa panel and off of that 2 30Aamp circuits, each with a a 240 outlet for the element and a 120 pump outlet. So would you have a bank of wall mounted outlets? I'm just trying to visualize this.

A spa panel with two 30A outlets should work. I happen to have two separate 30A circuits available nearby in this building, since it is my shop and I wired it to accommodate equipment. One of my cables comes though a window by a work station, the other is an exterior outlet that also serves as a input for back up generator.

A spa panel with two 30A outlets should work. I happen to have two separate 30A circuits available nearby in this building, since it is my shop and I wired it to accommodate equipment. One of my cables comes though a window by a work station, the other is an exterior outlet that also serves as a input for back up generator.

I didn't realize the outlets would be mounted inside the spa panel if that's what you are saying

Not saying that, was just saying what I run.

Maybe try a search on this forum, or wherever, and likely there is plenty of spa panel info.

Back