Sweet Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwoods

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing with only 4 beers under my belt. I am also an extract brewer. My next beer is going to be a double chocolate stout. I'm looking for some critique on my recipe. I'm looking for a strong chocolate flavor with a nice body and creaminess.

Fermentables:
6.6lb- light LME
1lb - Lactose Sugar
1lb- Dark DME

Steeping Grains
2lb-Chocolate Malt
Not sure if i should use English or American malt?
Steep for 30 min

Hops:
1oz- Galena hops for 60 min boil

Yeast:
White Lab English Ale Yeast WLP002

I am also considering a Chocolate Nibs, Chocolate extract for bottling, or cocoa powder after the boil.

looking for a 5 gal batch and 2.5 gal boil

So i guess my question is how do you think this will turn out and what would you do different?

Thank you for your help in advance

I'm new to brewing with only 4 beers under my belt. I am also an extract brewer. My next beer is going to be a double chocolate stout. I'm looking for some critique on my recipe. I'm looking for a strong chocolate flavor with a nice body and creaminess.

Fermentables:
6.6lb- light LME
1lb - Lactose Sugar
1lb- Dark DME

Steeping Grains
2lb-Chocolate Malt
Not sure if i should use English or American malt?
Steep for 30 min

Hops:
1oz- Galena hops for 60 min boil

Yeast:
White Lab English Ale Yeast WLP002

I am also considering a Chocolate Nibs, Chocolate extract for bottling, or cocoa powder after the boil.

looking for a 5 gal batch and 2.5 gal boil

So i guess my question is how do you think this will turn out and what would you do different?

Thank you for your help in advance

Try subbing some chocolate malt for something else. 2lbs. of chocolate malt is overkill.

My advice is to try 8oz of lactose unless you know you want a full pound. If it doesn't have the body or sweetness you want when you sample before bottling, mix the rest in with your priming sugar.

I have heard of adding 16 to 24 oz of unsweetened bakers chocolate with about 5 min left in the boil.

Back