Sweet Stout 16A Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
I brewed a sweet stout and I just opened a bottle and referring to the 2015 guidelines I feel that I hit the mark on the aroma, appearance, flavor and mouth feel. I am a little concerned about the ABV of mine compared to the style as I am looking at entering this into a couple competitions soon. I need a little advice.

According to the guide:
IBU 20-40
SRM 30-40
OG 1.044-1.060
FG 1.012-1.024
ABV 4.0%-6.0%

Mine:
IBU 29
SRM 36
OG 1.072 (post boil 5.5 gallons at 70* F)
FG 1.024 (2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary)
ABV 6.7%

My impression is dark, almost black in color, darker tan head which is thick, stays around as beer is being consumed.

The aroma is a roasty, chocolatey, almost vanilla odor, pleasant and not offensive.

Flavor is a dark roasted grain taste, not bitter but sweet. Chocolate is noted but not overpowering. A medium-high sweetness makes it smooth to drink. Not much, if any, hop aroma or flavor at all. Warming from the alcohol content is present.

Mouth feel is creamy and sweet, little carbonation, full flavor.

This was brewed in an all grain method with rinsing (170*F) of the grains after the 60 min rest at 153*F for a total boil of 7 gallons for 60 minute boil. Hop additions added at 60 and 15 min. cooled using immersion chiller to 80*F immediately following boil. Yeast was a Safale S-05 Ale yeast which was re-hydrated during boil. Yeast was pitched in normal fashion and a blow off tube was used instead of an air lock.

All equipment was sanitized using One Step cleanser. After 2 weeks was transferred to secondary for clarity. After an additional week was bottled using 4.3oz corn sugar to obtain 2.3 volumes of CO2. Bottles were conditioned for a month (so far) and my impression above was obtained. My calculated brew house efficiency is 89.91%.

I am looking at entering this "Little full, Lotta' Stout" in the 16A category but as I mentioned before is a little high on the ABV scale, over the max by 0.7%

Thoughts on how this may ding me or if I should enter under a different category?

Those are the "guidelines" it doesnt dictate whether or not a beer necessarily HAS to fall within those parameters. Thats just where like 90% of commercial examples are. They state this in the foreword for the new guidelines. Just enter it. It would be too sweet for any other stout category with teh lactose addition.

Or assuming you didnt add lactose, its probably not really a sweet/milk stout

Latest posts

Back