Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Sweet Potato Casserole Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xernex

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP011
Yeast Starter
NA
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days 68F
Tasting Notes
Sweet - with a kick of spice - toasted marshmallow comes through fairly strong
Recipe:

Grains:
7.5 Lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.5 Lbs Munic Malt - 10L
1 Lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 Lb Caravienne Malt
8 oz Caramunic Malt
8 oz Special B Malt

Hops:
1 oz Goldings, East Kent (60min)
.5 oz Fuggles - (25min)

Adjuncts:
2 large cans of Yams (1 can for mash - one 60min boil
1 lbs Grade B Maple syrup - end of boil
1 lbs light brown sugar - end of Boil
1 tbsp Irish Moss - (10min)
12 oz Lactose (5min)
2 tbsp Cinnamon (5min)
2 tbsp Vanilla Extract - end of boil
2 tbsp pumpkin pie seasoning(yea i know not sweet potato) - end of boil

Mash Profile:

60 Min @ 152.0F

Toasted Marshmallow extract added to taste - at kegging (recipe below)
ngredients

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
8 large marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved.

2. While the syrup is simmering, thread the marshmallows onto a metal skewer and use a kitchen torch or the burner of a gas stove to toast the marshmallows until browned all over. (To get the best results, you want to get the marshmallows slightly scorched in spots, but not completely burnt and black) Stir the marshmallows into the hot syrup, and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows have dissolved.

3. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large glass measuring cup. Let cool completely, then stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour the cooled syrup into glass bottles or jars with tight-fitting lids.

4.The bottled syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.

Read more: http://www.crumbblog.com/toasted-marshmallow-syrup-for-lavazzacheer/#ixzz4NM482wiO

So there's a lot going on here - I tweaked and tweaked this during the whole process to get where I wanted. Where I wanted was basically a dessert beer, with lots of toasted marshmallow taste. I can't give a really good FG reading as I've added more marshmallow syrup as time went on in the keg until it was exactly where I wanted.

I was a bit worried about the maple syrup and brown sugar drying it out too much, but honestly I'm thrilled with how this stuff came out. It's a gorgeous color, great head retention and a total blast to have people try. It may very well not be everybody's cup of team, but it gets a lot of "wow" reactions so I'm happy with it. That being said more than 2 of them at a time is a bit much.:mug::tank:

20161017_110749_001.jpg

Back