Sweet Dessert Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebertjoshua

Reaction score
I am working on a milk stout for the holidays.

Sweet Chocolate Stout:

8.00lb Maris Otter
1.00lb Flaked Barley (mouthfeel and head retention)
1.00lb Pale Chocolate Malt
.50lb Crystal 80
.25lb Crystal 120
.50lb Chocolate Malt
.25lb Roasted Barley
12oz Lactose

Does my grain bill look ok? I want a light coffee and heavier chocolate taste. I want my FG to be 1.018-1.025, I don't know how my quantity of lactose will affect that. I was also thinking of adding cocoa nibs after primary, or would that be too much chocolate?

Hops

.5oz Magnum at 60 min for 23.79 IBU

Is that a low enough IBU for a sweet stout?

Mash high (was thinking 156degF).

Yeast:

WLP002

WLP005

WLP023

I was actually thinking of splitting a 6 gallon batch (this being a 5) between my two 6.5gal carboys and using 002 or 005 on one and 023 on the other just to see how the honey, apple, pear flavors come through. Unless someone thinks it will be clashing with the chocolate flavor

Your recipe looks pretty good, and I do think it will highlight the chocolate for sure. Your IBUs are probably ok, obviously Fuggles or Goldings would be more traditional but I don't see why you couldn't use the Magnum.

I've used a lot of different yeast for my oatmeal stout, and I just love Irish Ale for it. I will admit though, the more I brew the more I don't really care for English Ale in the first place. American Ale was "ok" and I've also lagered some stouts and porters.

Definitely experiment with the yeast, because it does make a difference I promise.

I'm keeping the grain bill the way it is and splitting it halfway, between 005 and 023. Perhaps next time i make it I'll give it a shot with the fuggles or EKG I didn't realize magnum was out of style.

I'm keeping the grain bill the way it is and splitting it halfway, between 005 and 023. Perhaps next time i make it I'll give it a shot with the fuggles or EKG I didn't realize magnum was out of style.

It may not be really, I just notice most people use the EKG or Fuggles,. But ya I've used a lot of other hops too, like Cascade and some of the nobles as well. The main thing for me is to go light on the hops, I don't care much for stouts when they are a hop bomb. SWMBO loves stouts so I'm forced to brew them on a regular basis. Sigh...it's a heavy cross I must carry....

Back