Sweet Chocolate taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add Hershey's syrup to the keg/bottles. :)

Or, alternatively, a combination of lactose and cacao nibs/unsweetened baker's chocolate powder. Lots of techniques available, and open to debate. My personal preference is to add powders to the boil (last 10 minutes or so), and/or "dry hop" the cacao nibs. Using some chocolate malt (or pale chocolate malt for a lighter color) also doesn't hurt.

I just brewed the chocolate hazelnut porter from the Brewing Classic Styles book last month. The chocolate flavor in that recipe comes from unsweetened cocoa powder. Haven't bottled mine yet, but the chocolate aroma and flavor was evident in the hydro samples I've taken.

Of course, the cocoa powder is "unsweetened". Using lactose in addition to the cocoa might lend the sweet chocolate flavor you're looking for. I've used lactose and cocoa powder in beers, just not in the same beer, so can't say for sure.

Back