Sweet Bejezus I forgot the yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was getting close to the time to stop posting my questions in the Beginner's Forum....

On Monday, I went to my LHBS and bought the additional items I needed for my next APA. This time I prepared a script so I'd be ready for each step, rather than just rely on my memory.

And it all went quite smoothly. I prepared hop bags, for my 60, 20 and 5 minute additions, and even put a weight in each one so they would not float, hoping to get every last bit of hoppy goodness. I've just put in the 20 minute additions, and only now did it dawn on me that the packet of Safele US-05 I plan to add in the not too distant future is nowhere to be found.

Now what?

I have two packets from two Brooklyn Brew Shop one gallon kits. My target here is 2.5 gallons. Freshness dates are 06/15 on both, which is awful close. I think I have read that Brooklyn uses 05 in their kits, but I am not sure if that is true for all, or just some of them. These came from a Warrior Double IPA and a Chestnut Brown hit.

Do I have any real choice but to pitch them and to hope for the best? I do have an oxygen wand, and my impression (albeit from only one use) is that it will help with the process.

What else can and should I do, other than have my brain surgically removed and replaced by a few pieces of bok choy? Add more tomorrow night?

I've used yeast 6 months past its expiration and its been fine.
provided the yeast was stored properly you should be OK. it just means there's less viable cells than if it was to expire, say, two years from now. how much is hard to say...20% less, 50% less, I dont know the degradation rate, and it will be impacted by handling & storage. if you stored it on your furnace or on your car dashboard instead of in your refrigerator, then viability will likely be less.

my own experience has been its OK to use dried yeast that's expired, especially if its been stored properly (refrigerated).

I've read that hydrating the dried yeast for 20 minutes helps improve cell count vs pitching directly into the wort. I've had success both ways, though I usually hydrate dried yeast in boiled and cooled to room temp water.

For 2.5 gals, you probably want to use about 7g of yeast...maybe a little more if it's viability is low. but check out Mr Maltys pitching calculator for a better guide. (just enter Mr Malty in google...you'll find it)

You should pitch yeast asap, I would pitch what you have right now, not wait until tomorrow, as I would be worried about infection. but that's just me. YMMV.

The yeast has been sitting in a kitchen cupboard. I had no plan to use it.

After posting in a panic, I got several related posts at the bottom of the screen, and see I am not the first to do this. Right now, I think I want to finish chilling and move this to the fermenter. I can buy US-05 in good condition and the right quantity and add it tomorrrow. The wort will sit at about 70F until then.

Is this the best course? Assuming I do this, do I wait until tomorrow to oxygenate as well, or do I that tonight. Right now, I think I oxygenate tomorrow night when I pitch the 05.

Hah, you just forgot the yeast.
How about this, I forgot the extract today! I do flame out extract addition. I've got Mom on the phone (cell) and the boil and additions are almost done, OK mom, happy Mothers Day, gotta go. but she's not done talking. I get the chiller going, finish the phone call. Get it to temp, do my top off, getting ready to pitch, do the pre pitch hydrometer reading. The hydrometer isn't even floating??? How is that possible, then out of the corner of my eye I see the extract pouch. Damn! I won't go into what I did to (hopefully) fix this. But distraction can be a ***** :p I think it'll be fine, it's a simple ale.

Waiting until tomorrow should be ok with oxygenating first but be sure to contact the surgeon and pick up some bok choy immediately. You can also use cabbage in a pinch if you forget the bok choy.

Thanks, all. I feel much better (tho not much smarter) about this.

I've moved from doing gallon Brooklyn kits on the stovetop to a faux-RIMS BIAB all electric set-up, and I seem to be discovering new things even when I am not being stupid. My first try (now carbing) was with a thermometer that was off by 12F. It will be interesting to taste the effect of that.

This time, I recalibrated the thermometer via the controller, so I am guessing my temps were pretty close, but I wound up with the mother of all cold breaks. Or maybe it is just normal, I dunno. My stovetop cooling system was an icebath in the sink. Now, I have a plate chiller, and I did the recirculation business then, too. When I finally took the lid off, I was awestruck by the amount of foam I found.

Then again, where would the fun be if my second try with this new toy left me with nothing to improve? I suspect I have at least a year or two ahead of me before I can even get to "good enough." Nothing to improve is not even on my goal list.

Waiting until tomorrow should be ok with oxygenating first but be sure to contact the surgeon and pick up some bok choy immediately. You can also use cabbage in a pinch if you forget the bok choy.
Just so long as my wort doesn't smell like cabbage, I'll be happy at this point.

Well. Remember that yeast I forgot to buy for the Sunday brew? I found it tonight. So, I didn't forget to buy it, I forgot where I put it.

Now I need to decide if that makes me feel better or worse.

I always keep my dry yeast in the butter compartment in the refrigerator so I'll always know where it is. This is how you become a better brewer. Make mistakes early and often so you learn right from the start. Did you remember the cabbage at least? :)

Back