sweat mead yeast for wheat wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
So i am brewing a wheat wine tomorrow and i had bought munich wheatbeer yeast since it was recommend to me but after reading this " Aroma is estery to both palate and nose with typical banana notes"
when im checking style guidlines for 22D - Wheatwine it says should not have any German weizen yeast character.
so lo and behold i have wyeast sweetmead 4184* yeast sitting in my fridge and its described as. Rich, fruity profile complements fruit mead fermentations.
what would you guys do?

I know it is too late since you posted you already pitched the yeast but with it being a mead yeast there is a good chance it will not be able to consume the longer chain sugars that are in beer. So there is a good chance that the beer may not ferment completely. So you may need to pitch a sac yeast to finish fermentation.

I am interested in how it turns out though

Agree with @PirateSheepBrewery , too late to warn you off, but from what I've heard wine, mead, and some cider yeasts are really just selectively "bred" to handle simple sugars.

If you aren't making the wheatwine for a contest I would recommend you just pitch what you had anyway.

If it's the same strain as white labs then it doesn't ferment maltotriose - some beer yeasts have trouble with this sugar also. It might be best to see what the finished product is like before pitching a second strain if you want it to finish drier.

It was co pitched along with a Irish dry/s04 blend. Thank you guys for the responses.

My fermentation has come to a stop.I went from 1.102 to 1.036. honestly i was expecting it to drop lower.

Latest posts

Back