Swamp Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I just brewed a honey wheat and am aiming to keep my fermentation temperature as close to 68 as possible. This is the first time I have tried using a swamp cooler, and it seems to drop my temperature by 5 degrees. I have been swapping out ice packs each day. My question is if I need to use the swamp cooler for the next 3 weeks (the time I plan on leaving the beer in the fermenter) or if I can just use it for the first few days when fermentation is occurring and the airlock is bubbling. I travel a lot for work so managing a swamp cooler for 3 weeks would be difficult. Any advice?

I think that it's most important to maintain the temps during the first few days when fermentation is most active.
You'll be fine. What is the ambient temp in the room?

That is pretty high. Swap the ice packs out as much as possible. Your fermentation temperature is typically 5 degrees or so higher than your ambient temp.

Now I just have the towel dipped in a few inches of water and everything above that wrapped around the fermenter is dry. Is this correct or should the whole towel be wet?

I think you should be fine. Do you have a fan that you cab point at it. I think that helps in the cooling/wicking of water through the shirt.

Now I just have the towel dipped in a few inches of water and everything above that wrapped around the fermenter is dry. Is this correct or should the whole towel be wet?

The best way to keep it that cool and get the 'swamp' effect is to have a pump running to the top of your bucket so water can get all of the towel wet. Moving air will then cause evaporation through the towel cooling it substantially.

Back