Suspension reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
Just wondering if all the crap in the liquid after a boil will throw off a OG reading? Should a sample be strained to get a (more) accurate gravity reading?

It's fine. Suspended particles will have a negligible effect, if any at all. Especially at the resolution you're talking about with looking at a hydrometer reading. Heck, how you interpret the meniscus is going to have a far bigger impact on your gravity reading than anything else.

Don't complicate things. You are just making beer.

It's fine. Suspended particles will have a negligible effect, if any at all. Especially at the resolution you're talking about with looking at a hydrometer reading. Heck, how you interpret the meniscus is going to have a far bigger impact on your gravity reading than anything else.

I completely agree. One thing to add is make sure that you adjust for temperature. As most hydrometers read "accurately" at 60F. There are various online specific gravity calculators. I typically use Dave's Dreaded.

http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm

I am not sure if it is spot on, but more than close enough for me.

You should make a homebrew tshirt, with that slogan :)

It's the stuff dissolved in solution that help deterime gravity,like the sugars in the malt. Stuff floating around in it don't.

unionrdr said:
It's the stuff dissolved in solution that help deterime gravity,like the sugars in the malt. Stuff floating around in it don't.

+1.

My favorite example: salt makes seawater denser than freshwater because it is dissolved. Boats don't affect the water, whether fresh or seawater.

Thanks. I should know better than think too much by now. This is my first lager and first beer that I can actually see stuff floating around in there (Red Ale & Stout prior). I guess I couldn't see anything before.

Thanks again </nervous>

Back