Surly furious yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Hey all,
Does anybody know what kind of yeast Surly uses for their Furious beer?

Cool thanks. I was in Minneapolis recently and had it for the first time, amazing beer. I hope to recreate it. I only brought so much back and am down to two cans. Is there any chance I could harvest from a can? I know they centrifuge their beer but it would be cool to give it that special touch. Or should I probably get some 1335 and call it good?
Also have you posted your clone recipe on here?

Cool thanks. I was in Minneapolis recently and had it for the first time, amazing beer. I hope to recreate it. I only brought so much back and am down to two cans. Is there any chance I could harvest from a can? I know they centrifuge their beer but it would be cool to give it that special touch. Or should I probably get some 1335 and call it good?
Also have you posted your clone recipe on here?

I don't recall seeing much in the way of sediment in the cans, so I don't know if it's possible.

I don't remember posting the surly clone recipe recently- I'll check and see. It's been a long time since I've made it.

I know from the horse's mouth (so to speak) that golden promise is the base malt, and according to Omar "there are seven varieties of hops".

Here's what I have from 2010 as a clone recipe:

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt Golden Promise 69.7 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 18.3 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 7.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 3.7 %
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) 0.9 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Summit [18.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
3.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) OR appropriate starter
2.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

That's only 6 kinds of hops- I never did figure out what the 7th could be.

Mash low, as that much crystal malt doesn't want to attenuate all that well.

Awesome thanks to you both! I'm thinking of trying to harvest yeast from my two remaining cans, my sister is coming here in a couple of weeks and bringing some furious and fingers crossed dome todd the axe man. I'm definitely giving this recipe a try soon.

Todd the Axe Man WHALES!!! That's a killer beer. Furious was the gateway IPA for me and then my wife two years later. I've tried a few clone attempts, but it hasn't been easy and I've never gotten close enough to feel like I came close to nailing it. They list the ingredients on their website if you look up their beers. I think the trick is to use a very very small amount of the roasted barley, just enough to get the red color. (Yooper has it right with about 1%, although her recipe uses a different dark malt to get the color profile) Don't throw too much crystal in there. And make sure to not sub the Golden Promise with something else. But in regards to yeast, no you won't get any out of the can (or at least enough). Use a high floccing english strain and worry more about the grain bill and the hops.

Looks like I will have to order from the Internet as no shops around here have proper malts. Kinda a bummer but will give me time to gather all the right ingredients rather than subbing a hop or something. I'm still trying to grab some yeast even if for nothing more than an excuse to drink my last two cans. I needed to make a starter tonight anyway.

Well it worked! Now to build it up. I will say this yeast is a flocker, when I was swirling the flask it would take quite a bit of effort to dislodge the yeast from the bottom of the flask and then it would swirl in huge chunks. Looking forward to playing with this yeast.

View attachment 1441988932928.jpg

Latest posts

Back