Support Hops in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
hey all- looking for a good hop to push my other hops up a bit. i've heard of a couple but interested to hear what people think in here. probably something to throw in 5-10 minutes left in the boil to just to make things pop a bit- as everything else in the whirlpool. any suggestions/preferences?

I have always had good luck splitting late hop additions of any sort with cascade or centennial. Especially cascade. I do this when I'm short of the main flavor hop and feel that I'm not hopping enough. Like I have a 2 oz package of Hop X and that is just not enough for a 5 gallon batch. So an additional 2 oz of cascade split 50/50 with the flavor hop at 20/10/5/0. Works well every time.

I will definitely second Cascade. I also find Willamette, Fuggle, and Northern Brewer to be good supports if you are looking for something less of a citrus/pine combo. On the fruity side, I am hoping to experiment with NZ hope like Waimea and Motueka for this some more, but have been impressed so far with Motueka to enhance the citrus side of the flavor profile.

I just picked up some Motueka to try . I've never used it before . Also grabbed some Hue Melon as well which I've never tried. I use Enigma quite a bit in my IPAs and really like it .

I just picked up some Motueka to try . I've never used it before . Also grabbed some Hue Melon as well which I've never tried. I use Enigma quite a bit in my IPAs and really like it .

I added some Motueka with a few left in the boil on a saison and it worked quite well with the beer. Lots of Lime flavor with a little less aroma. New Image in my neck of the woods makes a Hazy IPA with Citra as the star and Motueka as a late/whirlpool addition that I think is a great beer. Need to use Huell Melon as well, was thinking to pair it with some Mandarina Bavaria or Waimea.

Crystal and Centennial has always been my go to for that. Crystal goes really good in IPAs for me.

Back