Suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmlipps

Reaction score
So I am pretty new to home brewing, I have a red ale bottled and an amber ale brewing. I have a couple more kits ready to go for a pale ale and an IPA. So far I have brewed strictly from recipe kits. I want to start purchasing my grains, extracts, sugar etc individually because I figure it's cheaper and I also like that I can then buy in "bulk". I figure with a recipe kit I am paying for the convenience of all the ingredients being measured out and grains crushed etc. So I tried looking up recipes and ordering the ingredients but it seems like I can never find all the correct specialty grains to order online. Anyone have any suggestions or input to help me out?

Obvious question but have you checked with local homebrew shops? My shop near Atlanta has better prices than I've been able to find online, plus a large variety and helpful advice. If you're not so fortunate I suggest you order over the phone and/or send email with your shopping list. Homebrew shops likely have more inventory than they show on the web, and I imagine via phone it'd be easier to get advice on substitutions or info on alternate sources.

Closest shop i have is about an hour drive in Jacksonville. Which is an option I just wish it was closer.

For things the LHBS doesn't stock I usually try Rebel brewer or Northern brewer, they have pretty large grain selections in my experience. What kinds of grains are you having trouble finding?

For things the LHBS doesn't stock I usually try Rebel brewer or Northern brewer, they have pretty large grain selections in my experience. What kinds of grains are you having trouble finding?

Those two are great. Also for bulk hops. Farmhouse is best price with the best shipping. (I tried to use other places with 5 dollar shipping for bulk hops and postal service tears up the thin paper envelopes.). Oh and Austin homebrew is good too.

I don't buy in bulk yet,but Midwest & NB have a great grain selection. Midwest sells color grains,crystal & slecialty grains,etc in 1/2lb sizes as well. I still save a good buck buying enough grains from them for 2 batches. I have my own grain mill,so I get them uncrushed. But they can crush'em if you need it shipped that way.

Obvious question but have you checked with local homebrew shops? My shop near Atlanta has better prices than I've been able to find online, plus a large variety and helpful advice. If you're not so fortunate I suggest you order over the phone and/or send email with your shopping list. Homebrew shops likely have more inventory than they show on the web, and I imagine via phone it'd be easier to get advice on substitutions or info on alternate sources.

One of the things I have to admit about Atlanta is that there are many HBSs around, some fully stocked specialty stores, others as side businesses of growler stores and bottle shops. Brewmaster's Warehouse and Brew Depot both have excellent stocks, good prices, and low shipping costs for those outside of the immediate area. Beer and Winecraft and Just Brew it are supposed to be good as well. I happen to be quite close to Lilburn Home Brew Supply, which recently had a change of ownership and seems to be getting a lot better for it.

Midwest, Northern Brewer and Farmhouse are the ones I go to. Farmhouse is about a buck less expensive per pack on dry yeast and they sell hops in 4oz bags. People like Austin homebrew as well. Never ordered from them though I have looked through their extensive recipe catalog. Many many clone recipes.

Back