Super ultra best temperature to carbonate in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, whats the super ultra desired temperature for carbonate in a keg? For how many days? How do you know after that amount of days that is enough carbonation? Sometimes happens that you have a lot of foam on the top part but down is a little flat, how can I get rid of that? Help please

There is no "super ultra desired temperature for carbonate in a keg". That's one of the beauties of force carbing - you can do it at pretty much any temperature that won't hurt the beer. Reference this carbonation table, or use this web page, to dial up the correct CO2 pressure at a given beer temperature to reach the desired level of carbonation ("volumes of CO2").

Now, that said, I prefer to carbonate at the same temperature at which the keg will be dispensed, and I prefer to use the same CO2 pressure to carbonate as to serve. So I have my carbonation/cold holding fridge set to the same temperature as my keezer, and have both gas systems set to essentially the same pressure.

It takes two solid weeks for a full keg sitting quietly at constant pressure and temperature to get to where it is satisfactory to me, and another week to be perfect. You can move that along faster by using higher pressure and/or agitation, at the expense of uncertain results and cloudy beer. Not my thing...

Cheers!

I usually dispense at 5psi, youre telling me that I should carbonate at 5psi??? Wouldnt it take forever?

Also, for how much time is that chart I mean i place where i want in the chart but for how much time¿

If you're dispensing at 5 psi, either you're serving beer at near freezing temperatures, or you like flat beer (big cask fan?) or your system isn't set up properly.

A good percentage of beers are best served somewhere around 2.5 volumes of CO2. If you look at that carbonation table, to maintain beer at a reasonable temperature (let's call that around 40°F) at 2.5 volumes of CO2, you need to keep the CO2 pressure around 12 psi. If you can't dispense beer at that pressure for whatever reason, every time you pull a pint your beer is losing carbonation. So, you need to fix your system - most likely make the beer lines much longer than what you're using now.

As for time, I don't think I've ever seen a carbonation chart/table/app that gives the time to fully carbonate the beer. Probably because that's dependent on volume (and lesser factors). As I said before, it takes a good two weeks at a proper carbonation pressure for the beer temperature to bring the beer up to an acceptable level, and another week to be perfect...

Cheers!

I guess I didnt express myself correctly, what you mean by dispensing? Pouring?

LOL! Jeeze, really? Yes, "dispensing" is synonymous with "serving" and "pouring"...and probably a bunch of other words...

Cheers! ;)

day_trippr said:
LOL! Jeeze, really? Yes, "dispensing" is synonymous with "serving" and "pouring"...and probably a bunch of other words...

Cheers! ;)

I really wish the location was automatic for every member. It is obvious to me that English is not his primary language or he is using a translation program. Be gentle.

Latest posts

Back