Super tropical IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-18

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I have been working on a super tropical IPA recipe with all the hops I have left over from other brews.
This is the very first recipe I have tired to build from scratch, so there might be some mistakes.
I have tried to base it on an Alesmith IPA clone (which I have made before), which uses both first wort hopping and tons of dry hopping, and keeping the actual amount of boil hops relatively low.
The beer should have a dominance of cirtus and tropical notes and of course offset by some bitterness.
I make 10 liter batches at the moment to avoid having to throw to much out if I screw up.

So here is what I have so far. Any critique or changes you guys have would be much appreciated! :) :mug:

s4nn01.jpg

There's alot to dive into here. Firstly, you have way too much crystal for IPA's. There should be max 10% crystal in an IPA imo, but I prefer to keep it below 5%.

Basically, I would simplify this alot, but that's just me. I made a super tropical IPA which was something like this:
25 Liters
1060 OG
88% Maris Otter
9% Flaked Barley
4% Crystal 60L
62g Amarillo first worth hop
25g Amarillo flameout
62g Enigma flameout
62g Enigma dry hop
37g Amarillo dry hop
2 pkg. Safale US-05

You should also consider dropping the S-04 for US-05, as it produces a cleaner yeast profile and therefore puts the hops, rightfully so, into the spotlight.

Obviously, you could change around my hop selection, but I found this combination to be really good. Getting alot of passion fruit in both aroma and taste. What you should take away from this is the malt profile; No need to over-complicate it.

The hop profile in this recipe does not have very much citrus character, but it's super tropical. If you want citrus and pine character as well (I think it would work pretty good), you could put in some Simcoe as well.

7isntmostandomnr gives some good advice. I have found that adding the dry hops after 4 days of fermentation in primary adds a ton of hop profile, more than regular dry hopping. Adding while active fermentation also helps with not allowing oxidation when adding the hops. Good luck.

Back