Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ain't the plastic, man. I've got over 50 batches in plastic, most of them 2 fermenters each batch and I've only had one contamination, which I siphoned under and drank anyway. I'm not easy on mine either. I use the green scrubby pads and have even used a nylon bristle brush when I had particularly stubborn spots.

Something is off in your cleaning and sanitizing somewhere.

I'm in Visalia if you want to offload it though. :)

It ain't the plastic, man. I've got over 50 batches in plastic, most of them 2 fermenters each batch and I've only had one contamination, which I siphoned under and drank anyway. I'm not easy on mine either. I use the green scrubby pads and have even used a nylon bristle brush when I had particularly stubborn spots.

Something is off in your cleaning and sanitizing somewhere.

I'm in Visalia if you want to offload it though. :)

And maybe now is a good time to refresh memories or offer advice on sanitizing these conicals.

I will not have a spray ball for awhile so will be using a pump for cleaning and sanitizing. I do not plan on using a brush either.

Thoughts? How do you clean and sanitize>

Well, after the first infection (oranges in a hefeweizen) I soaked it overnight in oxyclean and then in starsan, removed all fittings and soaked them as well, also starsaned the lid before closing it. I have a picture if you guys want to see it, it looks nasty and awesome at the same time. Anyway, keg fermenting sounds a lot better and cleaner, I have a red ale fermenting right now.

And maybe now is a good time to refresh memories or offer advice on sanitizing these conicals.

I will not have a spray ball for awhile so will be using a pump for cleaning and sanitizing. I do not plan on using a brush either.

Thoughts? How do you clean and sanitize>

Cleaning:
  • Dump
  • Spray out with hose
  • recirc hot (140F) water and OxyClean thru sprayball
  • spray out with hose

Sani:
  • Recirc 5 gals of StarSan

*a couple of things*
- I'll try simply rinsing crud off with hot water first - MOST of the time, hot water alone will get things clean and ready for sani. If its really caked on, thats when i go for the sprayball and oxy. get it recirc-ing and have a beer.

- 5 gals of starsan recirculated through a pump will blow the lid off with foam in <10mins.

RE: the above post about plastic infection - i've never had an infection in plastic, but i do have a few house rules about plastic.
- i wont do *additions* in my conical. Dryhopping, oak, fruit, honey, etc happens either in glass or SS.
- i do not scrub my conical with anything - not cloth, not scrubbies, not nylon, not my fingernails. 80% of the time, hot water is enough, the other 20% Oxy does the trick.

It is not like I have not read this thread in total. I have. And most of it a second time. I just went back to confirm my memory and did not locate what I think is buried.

YEAST PITCHING PROCESS:

I am about to pitch my yeast to a ten gallon batch in a 15-20gallon fermenter.

I have used the tri clover system with the 1.5" sight glass.

I believe I read that you leave the butterfly valve in the open position. Is that correct?

Thanks

I was looking at the square norwesco tanks in either 5 or 10 gallons. They are 1.25" at the bottom and I know I can get a nipple and reducer in SS to then plumb in 1" triclover fittings. The cost ends up being the same as going with the 15 gallon spraymaster tank and 1.5" plumbing. So my question is what are people's experience with 5 gallon batches in these 15 gallon tanks. I am the only beer drinker in the family and most of my friends aren't into good beer so it would be very rare that I would make a 10 gallon or 15 gallon batch. Which tank size would be best if I went this route?

Spray Balls

There have been references for the use of spray balls used to clean in place a conical.

What do people use as a spray ball and where do you get them?

Thanks

I use the rotating one from brewer's hardware. Works like a charm.

Well, after I lost 3 straight batches due to an infection I apparently couldn't get rid of, I am switching to keg fermentation. These are cheap and useful, but I don't trust plastic anymore.

Look over your sanitation steps again. There are startup breweries out there using the 10BBL versions of these that are working just fine. I'd highly suggest a spray ball though as it will get cleaner everywhere.

I have a lid I use just for a spray ball and PBW. I also have a tri-clover connection on the top of my regular lid that I connect the spray ball to and use for star-san. I've never had a problem with the fermenters.

Currently, I have a 10 gallon IPA fermenting in my 15 gallon plastic fermenter with tri-clover hardware below. Looking good.

I will of course want to move to capacity and brew 15 gallon batches. I also want to pull yeast and reuse it for the next 15 gallon brew.

I am trying to figure how much yeast I can get out of a 15 gallon batch. Or, how many 1.5" sight glasses I will be able to fill.

I then think I need to head over to the yeast/fermentation forum for advice as well as Mr. Malty.

If anybody has any insight I would appreciate you chiming in.

finally got this thing sealed airtight .Silicone for the lid assembly and 2 rings of weather strip for the lid . Thanks guy

Gammon N Beer said:
Currently, I have a 10 gallon IPA fermenting in my 15 gallon plastic fermenter with tri-clover hardware below. Looking good.

I will of course want to move to capacity and brew 15 gallon batches. I also want to pull yeast and reuse it for the next 15 gallon brew.

I am trying to figure how much yeast I can get out of a 15 gallon batch. Or, how many 1.5" sight glasses I will be able to fill.

I then think I need to head over to the yeast/fermentation forum for advice as well as Mr. Malty.

If anybody has any insight I would appreciate you chiming in.

Technically you're already at capacity at 10 gals in the 15 gal fermenter. Most commercial brewing systems will have about 25-35% headspace in their FVs. If not, you'll have massive blow off and lose some of the valuable yeast that you're trying to save!

I've been able to fill about one 16 oz water bottle with yeast slurry from mine when doing an 11 gallon batch with yeast starter.

I do 15 gallon batches in mine. There is actual 17.5-18 gallons in these. Since my lid is not completely sealed I occasional have krausen come out from the lid. I have done 12 batches and one happened 2 times. I fill mine up to 15.5-16 gallon mark. Granted these are not big beers.

Now that finances are balancing back out, I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple of these...

Any other updates from people using these?

Any other coupon codes? ;-)

Now that finances are balancing back out, I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple of these...

Any other updates from people using these?

Any other coupon codes? ;-)

What update would you like? Besides they are awesome and the stainless to outfit it costs more than the conical.

First batch in the plastic conical right now. I dont think I've got it sealed up the best yet because the blow off isnt bubbling, but the yeasties are doing their work because it's got a full head of krausen. Sure made trub removal easy! I think it's going to work out great!

I just found out there is a Rural King going in right next door to my work!! Does anyone know if they keep the 15G in store, or do you still have to order online and wait for direct ship?

I have mine I. A fridge to ferment. Now its cooling down out side I need to find a way to heat it. I was thinking a fermwrap. What are all you using?

I have mine I. A fridge to ferment. Now its cooling down out side I need to find a way to heat it. I was thinking a fermwrap. What are all you using?

Paint can light bulb heater. Do a Google search, its easy to make

for anyone wanting to go BIG I just picked up a 60 gallon Ace Roto Mold with built in legs for $185 total including shipping from www.spraysmarter.com. SWEET deal! They want $60 or so for the 15 gallon (not including shipping).

I've been sitting on this conical for several months now and have yet to order the remaining parts to assemble it. Was waiting to find a standup fridge/freezer and finally got it a couple weeks back. Between then, I also managed to pick up a keg that I'll be turning into a keggle [potentially adding in a spigot for it to be a large bottling bucket, as well].

So before I start to order these parts, valves, and what not.... how necessary do you guys consider a racking port to be? A conical with 1 quart sight glass should theoretically[/i] remove most of the yeast. And I could hopefully remove the "rest of the trub" (i.e. - hops sediment) by just adding a really good strainer above the conical fermenter, which will add a bit extra oxygen before pitching the yeast. So after fermentation, there will be minimal yeast left over, and I'll be able to rack straight from the bottom valve [after removing the sight glass] directly to bottles??? That why I won't need to add a spigot to my keggle, or a racking port to the fermenter. Good idea?? Others use this same process with good results, yes?

TL;DR -- Is a racking port really worth it, potentially compromising both the "solidity/durability" and "cheapness" of a plastic conical fermenter?

I don't have a racking port in mine. Instead I made a stainless steel racking cane from a little bit of the 3/8 stainless steel coil I bought for my chiller coil. I remove my thermo well that is in the center of the lid and insert the cane in there. It connects to the output of my keg while I connect a vacuum pump to the inlet side of the keg.

Latest posts

Back