super noob!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizit524

Reaction score
hey im new! haha go figure same with everyone else in this subforum :p
Anywho; ill get right to my question.
I dropped by a local brew it yourself shop, and decided to delve into making my own beer. I live in Scotland and DAM beer is expensive here. (I'm from USA where it's cheap)
3 -4 pound for a beer in a bar 1-2 for on in the super market. I am a student so I can't afford that. If I calculated right I can make a beer for 60 pence ! huzzah ! cheap (good) beer for everyone!
I bought a kit which included everything or so I think. Picked out a beer that I wanted to brew. (export stout)
I followed the directions to the T. Re read and did sterilization actually 2 times. finished it and now it's sitting in my room just waiting...

After I finished cleanup I started looking at brew your own stuff on youtube and one thing I noticed that was majorly different than my kit.

When I bought the kit it came with everything except the malt and yeast.
From the youtube videos I saw they add hops and a few other things in the boiling process. I didn't do that because I didn't have any hops and the guys didn't say at the shop that I needed some. ..... all I added was the malt like the directions said to (and sugar). Then after it cooled added yeast and put it in my room .

Did I mess up my first batch by not adding hops? or do some malt not need hops?

The malt I used was a Muntons Export Stout by Connoisseurs Range

You dont need hops to make beer. Hops gives you bitterness and flavors ina beer. Especially those kits. They are the easiest way to get started. You did the process perfectly. Kits like this are cheap but they make cheap beer too...

ahh thanks for that (and the quick reply) well thats a relief.
For further batches what should I use then? say if I wanted another export stout (we shall see how this one turns out) what type of hops should I use/ put in?

Maybe the kit you used had hopped malt extract?

Some do not and you need to add hops.

yeah I just took the can out of the trash and it says its a hopped malt extract. sooo they already put hops in it :) thanks again

Back