Super Mild Table Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryis007

Reaction score
According to my research, the ABV at which a beverage becomes a diaretic is above 2%. I would like to try to make as full flavored as possible of a beer at 1.5%! Looking for specific suggestions as how to do this. High mash temp, lots of adjuncts, etc. Open to sugestions as to what style of beer would be best suited for this. I made a 2.8% stout last year that was pretty close to my goal here, but I am looking to get sub 2%!

Haha, this is an awesome project. Uhh... well, there are some traditional alcoholic beverages that are around that level, right? Isn't old kvass (Russian) like that? But I think you want to try something that has flavor from non-malt sources. An Oktoberfest would be a particularly poor choice, for example. A session stout or IPA or saison? Those are three different ways of getting flavor without using a lot of malt--it's darkness, hops, and yeast, respectively. Just spitballing there.

You could also look at recipes for English milds and bitters as a starting point. The English seem to have the best-developed super-low-ABV beer repertoire (though those are more like 2.5-2.8% ABV at lowest, I think?).

Check out the second beer the BBR guys brew in . Starts at about 6 minutes in. I haven't brewed it yet, but I'll do something like it some time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that sounds like a neat beer, lots of rye to give it the body this tiny beer would desperatly need!!

Back