Super dry ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogfisher

Reaction score
Hey people:

Here's my story: decided that I wanted to brew and that my first brew should be gingerbeer because I like it. Not fermented with malt but rather the actual fermented lemon drink hotted with ginger (so I figured it belonged on this forum).

Grew a (at least to my eyes) perfect bottom fermenting yeast off of a mummified apple on my tree. It's very dry here and it was -35C when I picked the apple, so I'm assuming that it was quite sterile regards moulds/snot; I grew snot off of some organic raisins.

I made a batch with ginger, lemon, cream of tartar, white sugar, and some raspberries tossed in. It's been doing it's primary fermentation for five days and has completely (to taste) used up 4 cups sugar in 8 litres of water. Smells like bubblegum and grapefruit pop and is incredibly dry. Water is alkaline and I notice a slight bitterness that my wife says I'm confusing for lemon/tartar sour. I think it's about 7.5% ABV.

I'd intended to bottle prime for carbonation. There's enough carbonation in the brew right now to sparkle a bit on the tongue. I don't want it super sweet and don't want bottles to explode, and can't pasteurize accurately enough so it will be the fridge.

Any ideas on priming content? I left the batch with less water with the intent of mixing a sugar syrup in for priming. I'll be bottling in 2 litre plastic and some Grolsch flip-tops.

-- 2 lbs pureed ginger
-- yellow rind from four lemons, and juice
-- 2 tsp of tartar
-- 3 cups rasberries added at end of boil
-- Apple yeast
-- 9 litres water

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back