Summit Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithsonBrewer

Reaction score
I ordered about a half pound of hops today. I was looking for 1 bittering, 1 flavouring and 1 aroma variety. I was leaning more towards the grapefruit/citrus flavour in my selection for an IPA. Upon reading the descriptions on the home brew site I went with Summit for my bittering.

After I ordered, i did a little more research. Probably should have done that in the reverse order. What I found with people's Summit experience kind of freaked me out! Some people said tangerine/oranges which sounds great! But, there was also quite a few reports of garlic/onions. Which is... not so great.

So, i'm just looking for testimonials from some of you that have tried Summit hops. Just to note, I also purchased some Amarillo and Falconer's Flight as it seemed like the three would pair well.

I've used Summit 4 or 5 times and haven't gotten any of the onion flavors/aromas others speak of. I quite like the hop, personally.

I've used Summit 4 or 5 times and haven't gotten any of the onion flavors/aromas others speak of. I quite like the hop, personally.

Well that's good to hear. What kind of flavours do you get? Do you only us them to bitter?

I'm getting ready to brew this weekend--a pale ale and an IIPA, both of which will have Summit and Cascade.

Some people said tangerine/oranges which sounds great! But, there was also quite a few reports of garlic/onions. Which is... not so great.
Had heard the same thing, so I contacted Hopunion a while back and got the response below. I've used a lot of Summit, but it's always come from either Hopunion or Hops Direct. I've never gotten the garlic/onion flavor that some people have describe. But if you do get it, it's the fault of the grower not the hop.

I contacted one of our owners who grows this particular variety to get more insight into your question. Regardless if Summit™ is organic or not organic, if this variety is picked at the optimal time, it will have tangerine characteristics. The onion and garlic notes come through if the hops are picked later and the oils are overdone. Growers try to the best of their ability to schedule the different hops to be harvested at the optimal times and it can be tricky.

Best regards,
Jennifer Stevens
Director of Procurement
Hopunion LLC.

Had heard the same thing, so I contacted Hopunion a while back and got the response below. I've used a lot of Summit, but it's always come from either Hopunion or Hops Direct. I've never gotten the garlic/onion flavor that some people have describe. But if you do get it, it's the fault of the grower not the hop.

hmm. Well I hope I get some decent hops because I really liked the tangerine descriptions. I wonder if it's easy to tell if they are good before I brew with them...

I have an all summit pale.

.25 @ 60
.25 @ 30

.50@ 15
.50@5
1 oz@ 0(steep for 15 and whirlpool)

Dry at 7, 1.50 oz

All tangerine, no onion

I brewed an all Summit IPA about a year ago and I loved it. It had about 4-6 oz of Summit added all throughout the boil and then dry hopped with Summit. It is a nice citrus flavor with definite tangerine/orange flavors and some grapefruit but not overbearing. I went through about a pound of it, my last brew was a white IPA that I brewed with Summit and Citra, it is conditioning right now. Enjoy!

Back