Summer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUbrady

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a good summer recipe that I can have ready by the 4th of July. I know that does not leave me much time which is exactly why I am not having any luck, all of the ones that I have found and want to do take >4 weeks.

I am new to brewing but doing all grain recipes, so if anyone has one that I can get done done by then, I am open to suggestions.

Are you kegging? If so almost any light ale could be done in that time.
A Pale ale, if started right away could be done in 7-10 days and bottle conditioned until July 4. Other light styles would work.

Sadly I am still bottling, hopefully not for much longer though.

I will already have a cream ale, cider, and an IPA ready for the 4th but would like 1 more for variety. Preferably not a saison.

The 4th of july is 5 weeks away. Brew today, bottle in 2 weeks, drink in 5. Seems like a very normal timeline, you don't even have to do anything special. If you keg you could brew 3 weeks from now and still be in the clear...

What kind of summer beer do you want? American wheat? Pale ale? Hefeweizen?

This gave me a silver medal and is easy.

9lb American Pale malt (2-Row)
1lb Victory
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 60 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 60 min.
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 15 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 15 min.
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 5 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 5 min.
1 Package Wyeast Labs American Ale II 1272
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol by Vol: 4.93%
Color SRM: 6.23
Bitterness IBU: 28.33

American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale is another good, easy one that should work for you.

Either of these should work with your schedule.

Session rye or wheat would be fun to throw in that mix of cream, cider, and IPA. High pitch rate, ferment on the warm side so it has more character, and I would use some sugars to dry it out a bit. Maybe 80/10/10 favorite Base Crystal Rye or Wheat FWH and a flame out addition/whirlpool. Any yeast that sounds good/cheap, and get as much o2/nutrient in there as you can.

Thank you for the recipes, trying to decide which one to use.

This may sound like a dumb question to experienced brewers. When you say bottle in 2. You mean the primary fermenting is done and now it time to prime/rack correct?

Is 2 weeks the standard for fermenting? I thought some took longer than 2 weeks and then also longer to prime/rack.

I was hoping to try and find a fruity one to make the girlfriend and the girls happy if you know what I mean. Maybe a wheat or heeweizen.

This recipe is as easy as it is delicious...
5.2 gal into fermentor
70% efficiency
35 IBU

8lb Pale malt (favorite variety Maris otter for me)
1lb wheat malt
.75lb crystal 20L
I also add .20lb of acidulated malt for mash pH Optional

Mash 149 1 hour

Hops
.5 oz Galena 60 min
2 oz cascade 5 min

Us-05 yeast (or nottingham fermented cool)

Thats it. Super easy
you can decrease the cascade to 1 oz if you want less hop character, my gf prefers this.
Garnish with orange (very important for the ladies)

Gose is a great refreshing beer and base to add fruit ...can be done in about a week using fast sour method

Thank you for the recipes, trying to decide which one to use.

This may sound like a dumb question to experienced brewers. When you say bottle in 2. You mean the primary fermenting is done and now it time to prime/rack correct?

Is 2 weeks the standard for fermenting? I thought some took longer than 2 weeks and then also longer to prime/rack.

I was hoping to try and find a fruity one to make the girlfriend and the girls happy if you know what I mean. Maybe a wheat or heeweizen.

for most (low gravity) beers using something like US-05 fermentation should be over in less than a week...so yes, no reason to think it won't be done by two weeks (you should still check the gravity). I keg most of my beers at the 10-14 day mark.

Hefeweizen, its light has banana and clove flavors from the yeast, and you can add fruit extract at bottling and its always a crowd pleaser.

4.5% 12 IBUs

5# wheat
5# pilsen
.5oz Hallertauer @60 min
yeast wb06 dry

boil time is 90 min due to the pilsen, you could do an extract if you want it so simple.

EDB,

I went with your recipe, because I know the girlfriend likes Hefe's for sure, also doing a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and a Stone Calie IPA clone.

This gave me a silver medal and is easy.

9lb American Pale malt (2-Row)
1lb Victory
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 60 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 60 min.
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 15 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 15 min.
⅓ oz Cascade (7%) Boil 5 min.
⅓ oz Willamette (6%) Boil 5 min.
1 Package Wyeast Labs American Ale II 1272
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol by Vol: 4.93%
Color SRM: 6.23
Bitterness IBU: 28.33

American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale is another good, easy one that should work for you.

Either of these should work with your schedule.

Ok, that looks delicious. My to brew list just got longer!

Back