Summer of '84

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whut

You heard me.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where were you? That's me, on the right, cliff jumping at the temple of Poseidon in southern Greece.

image.jpg

I was taking my first steps and getting ready for my big 1-year-old birthday bash

15 yrs old, living in Michigan, taking driver's training and goofing with my friends. Went with parents to Tennessee for a week then to Brooklyn, NY for a week. Visiting family both times.

Middle of High Skool. Probably reading fantasy series like Dragonlance, LOTR, Shanarra, etc. and dreaming about girls. Nerds weren't appreciated properly back then.

I was nine. Likely trading baseball cards, looking forward to Doc Gooden pitching his next start. Pretty sure I was really into a game called Crossbows and Catapults right around that time.

I was nine. Likely trading baseball cards, looking forward to Doc Gooden pitching his next start. Pretty sure I was really into a game called Crossbows and Catapults right around that time.

I was 11. I loved Crossbows and Catapults.

I would have been playing Little League baseball, with my dad as the coach, in the summer of '84.

Southern California, turning 10YO.
Had my birthday at Chuck E Cheeses that year I think.

Met my wife that summer. Drank a ton of Old Milwaukee. Living in a trailer alone (2 roomates had just joined the Marines, I would follow soon).

One of my friends had a camcorder so we'd drink beer and make music videos (MTV was hot at that time). Guitar = tennis racket, microphone = crutch, drum = lampshade, and keyboard = desk. BTW, I'm the shirtless one with the white disposable pants. Laugh away, I know I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Met my wife that summer. Drank a ton of Old Milwaukee. Living in a trailer alone (2 roomates had just joined the Marines, I would follow soon).

One of my friends had a camcorder so we'd drink beer and make music videos (MTV was hot at that time). Guitar = tennis racket, microphone = crutch, drum = lampshade, and keyboard = desk. BTW, I'm the shirtless one with the white disposable pants. Laugh away, I know I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPG7RZLVqY

LOVE IT!

I wish I had a camcorder back in '84. I probably would have done the same thing..,.

I turned 11 on the first day of that summer, living in Wyoming at the time. Little did I know 6 months later i'd be living in NJ, lucky me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPG7RZLVqY

nice head band

is that toilet paper?

You owe me an afternoon of work. I have been looking for Crossbows and Catapults online to see if I can get it for my kid for this Christmas.

Just turned four.

Legos were the sh*t.

I would bum a half-sip of the old man's heineken every once in a while. Stuff tasted like ass, was sure I'd end up like my mom and only ever drink wine.

Shows how much little four-year-old me knew, but, on the other hand, all the DIY tinkering and building various brewing equipment is one of my favorite parts of this hobby, so, I suppose I was spot-on about the legos...

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPG7RZLVqY

Is that an uzi in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

And the Uzi on your hip?

I was fourteen. Growing up on the mean streets of Placentia, CA. I had a job that summer working as a janitor for the local school district cleaning floors, scrubbing chalkboards, scraping gum from under desks and making use of idle hands.

I don't think I could find a picture and even if I could, I don't have a scanner.

But let's see, summer of 1984, I was working as an EMT and going to school (to eventually become a paramedic), and working at a restaurant. I was married, but no kids at that time. I had just got out of the Army that summer.

I'm still working as a "fill-in" at the same hospital I was working at as an EMT back then, which seems so weird now that I think about it. That's a long time!

In 84 at 31 years old with a 7 year old and an 11 year old. Had moved into the house I'm still in spending days at the lake. Marital discourse was soon to follow.

I was 9, so I was probably playing with my Atari, (and wishing I had a cool Colecovision like my buddy Dan) , watching Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper, and Rollie Fingers, riding bikes and building forts with my buddies, and other stuff than 9-year-olds do.

In 84 at 31 years old with a 7 year old and an 11 year old. Had moved into the house I'm still in spending days at the lake. Marital discourse was soon to follow.
Lot in common. How's 60 treating you?

With your first at 20, you must have been married about the same time as us. Too bad it didn't work out. 40 years last December.

Damn, where'd the time go?

:drunk:

JonM said:
I was 9, so I was probably playing with my Atari, (and wishing I had a cool Colecovision like my buddy Dan) , watching Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper, and Rollie Fingers, riding bikes and building forts with my buddies, and other stuff than 9-year-olds do.

Same here

Latest posts

Back