sulpur smell in ginger ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoch79

Reaction score
Ok so I'm sure this has been asked about before but I cant find anything. I made my first batch of ginger ale not too long ago. Before I get to the question let me get to some details. I used whole ginger, not peeled, and juiced it, some morena sugar (pure cane sugar but not as bleached as white sugar), and bread yeast. I used way more ginger than the recipe called for, though I cant remember how much exactly. Anyway, based on the recipe and lots of different threads here ginger ale is supposed to be done carbonating in around 2 days. On days 2,3,4 or so I tasted it and it tasted dirty and sulphury. I really wanted it to work so I refrigerated one of the containers and continued to drink it anyway. It was tolerable but not good. A few weeks later I tasted one of the containers I left out and it wasn't sulphury at all. It was actually decent except for it tasting a little yeasty and not sweet. Any idea why it was sulphury? What can I do different next time to prevent it? Maybe contamination somewhere? Thanks for reading through my long story.

Did you sanitize with bleach? Any chlorine in your fermentation and it can create H2S which is a rotten egg smell.

no bleach. I forget what its called but I used a powdered sani solution

Back