Sulphur from K-meta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
My latest cider has a heavy sulphur odor, not quite rhino fart level, one day after pitching. My notes do not mention the K-meta at all but I'm pretty sure I used it. It is also possible that I added twice as much as the package said to use..... Brain says I did 1/2 tsp in 6 gallons, package says use 1/4tsp. Since I used the nutes as prescribed, as well as the pectic enzyme, I should not have stressed the yeast that way. I did a 12 hr one gallonish starter and had noticeable activity within 12 hrs after pitching it in my fermenter.
So the question is, could the extra sulphur be from the K-meta, and will this be a problem if I aerate with copper for the next day or so?

Yeeaah, I'm getting "Who farted?" From everyone that walks in the kitchen, including the 4 yr old. I'd like to get rid of the smell....
I'll give it till tomorrow, if it's no better I'm going to war on it.

How & when did you aerate?

K-meta removes dissolved oxygen. Lack of oxygen when pitching makes yeast very prone to creating sulfide.

Aerated before, during, and now several times after pitching using a wire whisk attachment for my immersion blender to create a whirlpool. Guess I'll just degas and aerate once an hr or so till the smell goes away?

I would gently stir maybe once or twice a day until it's gone, and then rack and add sulfite ASAP after it finishes fermenting.

You don't want to add so much oxygen that it oxidizes the cider.

A small amount of non-DAP yeast nutrient might be a good idea also, depending on gravity.

Fermentation is done for practical purposes. Some sulfur smell still in it, but it's less. Hopefully it will leave compleately.

Even less smell. Still some CO2 production.
Massive amount of lees.
Could over aerating cause an overpopulation of yeast, this causing stress?
i wish I had taken a picture of the carboy. There was at least 3 inches and more still in suspension even now. There was also about a pound of raisins in there.

Latest posts

Back