Sulfury aroma in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigi

Reaction score
I brewed a patersbier a month ago using the Unibroue yeast from Wyeast. I planned to use the cake from it to do a triple, but the patersbier had a strong sulfury smell when I racked to the bottling bucket to make room on brewday. I didn't have a free carboy to condition it, so it had to be bottled. After two weeks, it still has a strong sulfury aroma when it's poured, but it tastes fantastic. No detectable sulfur on the palate until it's warmed up for a good 15-20 minutes (I did some "scientific" testing on that).

Will the aroma go away in the bottles? What might have caused it to have this aroma but hardly any bad taste? And what can I do to avoid this in the future?

I have a Berliner Weisse in primary right now, and there's definitely some hints of sulfur among the sourness when I take a whiff, but that one's got another 2 weeks in primary and at least that long in secondary for it to clean itself up. Could it be a process thing, or an infection?

Of possible interest, the triple has been going for a few weeks now and has hardly any off-aroma.

Some yeasts naturally give off a lot of sulfur. It can dissipate with time.

I've also noticed a sulfur/rubbery taste and aroma to beers that have fermented at extreme temperatures. It can sometimes be accompanied by that brothy character as well.

The sulfur aroma will usually go away eventually if it's yeast derived. As long as you've treated the yeast well, I wouldn't worry about re-using it.

Back