Sulfur in Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
I've been using bakers yeast to make a soda, based on a porter/Malta recipe. I ferment it in primary for less than a day, then transfer to growlers and flip tops and chill to about 49 degree

I switched to bakers yeast from ale yeast, the ale yeast tended to produce sour notes in my hands. Now, I am getting a sulfur type flavor and taste. One of my growlers has a screw top which I drink first the smell is most noticeable here, however I noticed the flip tops also seem to have a burnt rubber quality.

I am trying to figure out what is causing this, at first with the sealed container, I was thinking that maybe it's like a Heffe, or maybe anaerobic respiration? It seems the yeast continues to ferment even chilled as the bottle had quite some pressure, and about half emptied on opening. Maybe cold stress?

Did you figure it out? I just made my first attempt at a vanilla cream soda and used lager yeast and it had sulfur smell and taste.

I am still working on the problem. One thing that definitely helped was yeast nutrient and removing chloramine. Now I am experimenting with different yeasts.

Now if I use Safale-04 no sulfur, but also not much flavor as a soda. If I let the bakers yeast sit in the refrigerator for a while the sulfur goes away. I am going to try a session ale yeast next.

I don't think lager yeasts will work for sodas. They are known produce a lot of sulfur and they continue to ferment in the refrigerator, unless there is someway of stopping the yeast and getting them to clean up the beer, maybe by Camden tablets?

Back