Sulfite effectiveness window after crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
How long will the initial addition of sulfites protect the must after the crush? I am waiting for my yeast starter to kick off and it looks like it might be awhile before I can pitch.

Details:
Crushed 117 pounds of Pinot Noir Grapes last night. Had 11 Gallons of must including skins. Added 33ml of 10% sulfite solution. Brix is 19.3, and pH is unknown but this year is said to be a more acidic year.

I am using Vierka Assmanshausen dry yeast. I created a starter last night by bringing a pint of juice to boil then cooling. I pitched the yeast last night, and so far no activity. I read this type of yeast can take up to 4 days to get going in the starter. I am a little frustrated by this situation, now that I learned Assmanshausen is also available in liquid strains. I want to make sure my must doesn't spoil, but I don't want to over add sulfites.

How is it going today? How's the smell?

If you are still not seeing activity, try to aerate. This will bind up some SO2 and reintegrate any pools of yeast colony bunched up in your fermentor.

Starter is now bubbling away so I think I'll be safe.

I am okay to pitch the yeast 48 - 72 hours after the crush? I'm curious because all the guides say to pitch after 24.

An extended cold maceration can last as long as three days, so yes, given a good inoculation of KMBS you are safe. Though I did notice the beginnings of acetyl smell when I pitched my Cab Sauv this year on day three it quickly cleared after the yeast lag phase.

Glad to hear your yeasty-beasties are healthy!

Yep everything work out with the primary fermentation. Got it down below 1.00 in 3 days! Now I'm waiting for my malolatic fermentation to kick off.

Latest posts

Back