Suggestions with a hoppy APA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
I was hoping to brew a good APA next with the hops I already have, and looking for a abv around 5%. Also i have no clue what grain bill to use so suggestions on that would be helpful too. Also hop scheduling with your suggestions would be nice. Haha so if any one wants to creat a recipe for using any of these hops I will name the beer after you.
Hops I have.
Willamette 3 oz
Warrior 3 oz
Galena 3 oz
Nugget 2 oz
Summit 1 oz
Chinook 1 oz
Cascade 1/4 oz
Centennial 1/4 oz
Crystal 1/4 oz
Columbus 1 3/4 oz

Jtd6628 said:
I was hoping to brew a good APA next with the hops I already have, and looking for a abv around 5%. Also i have no clue what grain bill to use so suggestions on that would be helpful too. Also hop scheduling with your suggestions would be nice. Haha so if any one wants to creat a recipe for using any of these hops I will name the beer after you.
Hops I have.
Willamette 3 oz
Warrior 3 oz
Galena 3 oz
Nugget 2 oz
Summit 1 oz
Chinook 1 oz
Cascade 1/4 oz
Centennial 1/4 oz
Crystal 1/4 oz
Columbus 1 3/4 oz

Here's a favorite recipe of mine:

8.5 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs cara-pils
1.5 lbs 20 L crystal malt

Hops:
15 HBU hops for bittering (won't matter too much which one you use - prioritize the other additions.) 60 mins
1 oz flavor/aroma hop at 15 minutes
1 oz aroma hop at flameout
1 oz dry-hop of choice

American ale strain.

Overall, I would probably just go through the hops you have and smell then all. Try and put the aromas together that work together. No matter what you do, you'll end up with a great beer. You might try blending a few hops into the late addition and dry-hopping.

I hope you like it.

Here is a Grain bill that I used on my last APA:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) ( could use more or less depending on your % EFF)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Honey Malt

You could really pick any of your high alpha acid hops for a 60 min hop and then I'd use up your smaller amounts like:

1/2 Columbus 15 min
1/2 Columbus 10 min
1/4 Centennial, 1/4 Cascade, and 1/4 Crystal at 5 or 2 min

Good luck and enjoy!

Chris

Holy crap. Just realized I left the hop schedule on my post for a ten gallon batch. Halve them! Wow. That might have killed you. I just saved your life!

SGFBeerBuzz said:
Holy crap. Just realized I left the hop schedule on my post for a ten gallon batch. Halve them! Wow. That might have killed you. I just saved your life!

That's funny I owe you a beer for saving my life.

Hebby5 said:
Here is a Grain bill that I used on my last APA:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) ( could use more or less depending on your % EFF)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Honey Malt

You could really pick any of your high alpha acid hops for a 60 min hop and then I'd use up your smaller amounts like:

1/2 Columbus 15 min
1/2 Columbus 10 min
1/4 Centennial, 1/4 Cascade, and 1/4 Crystal at 5 or 2 min

Good luck and enjoy!

Chris

Thanks this is a good idea to use up the 1 oz hop bags I have already opened. Can do you have a yeast suggestion I will probably use Safale 05 otherwise. I have some washed whitlabs California ale yeast but it has a huge amount of turb in it I am scared to use it.

The white labs yeast should be fine, but the US-05 would be a clean start. I tend not to mess around with questionable yeast.

SGFBeerBuzz said:
The white labs yeast should be fine, but the US-05 would be a clean start. I tend not to mess around with questionable yeast.

If I do a starter with it and if it starts fermenting does that mean it is healthy enough to pitch the starter? Also what would be sighns in the starter that it is infected, not that I am really concerned that it is infected I have a rigorous method. I am more concerned that all that turb would give off flavors to the beer, would there be sighns in the starter that it would give off flavors to the beer.

You want a good combo for an IPA? Cascade+Willamette. Very solid combo. Add a bittering addition of something else (small charge of Columbus would work well) and use the Cascade/Willamette at 15/5/dry hop and there ya go.

I use US-05 or WYeast 1056 for most Of my pale ales. Good luck and hope it turns out well!

Chris

Jtd6628 said:
If I do a starter with it and if it starts fermenting does that mean it is healthy enough to pitch the starter? Also what would be sighns in the starter that it is infected, not that I am really concerned that it is infected I have a rigorous method. I am more concerned that all that turb would give off flavors to the beer, would there be sighns in the starter that it would give off flavors to the beer.

If you're confident it is not infected, making a starter will tell you it is viable. I'm not sure I'd know how to tell if it is infected without pitching it and taking the chance.

I typically err on the side of caution, but if I were reasonable sure my yeast was not contaminated, I'd build a starter with it and see what I got, then pitch it.

Back