Suggestions on a brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DmodeJR86

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for a half a year now. The main goal was to gain comfort in the process before moving on to all grain brewing. I have been looking into the different sizes of brew kettles available and it seems that a 10 gallon kettle is best for the amount of space I have. What are peoples suggestions and opinions on the best brew kettle to get? Considering I am still very green when it comes to this amazing hobby so any tips, suggestions and pointers are welcome! I just want to make sure that if I am going to drop alot of money on a kettle I'm investing in something that will really help stream line my brew day and efficiency once I start all grain brewing a few months from now.

Dave

How much you want to spend and you going to be brewing indoors or out?

You can spend $50 to a hundred on and aluminum or stainless kettle that would serve you well...If you want a premium kettle with valve, sightglass and thermo you will spend several hundred.

This is a nice pot for a good price imo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-60-.../140698094037?pt=Cookware&hash=item20c24289d5

and "bobby m" at brewhardware can get you all the fancy bits you need to "upgrade" as you desire. cheers!

If you are wanting to do five gallon all grain batches, then 10 gallons is a good size to get (a typical batch of wort is ~7-.75 gallons).

This is a great, economical pot: Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless. It goes on sale often (my wife got mine for $68). You could go even cheaper with aluminum, of course.

Remember that you'll need to be able to heat that much wort... usually more than a stove can handle. At $54, the Bayou Classic SQ 14 is a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of now I am brewing inside but when I make the switch I will be brewing outside. I would like to pick up a kettle with at least a valve to make chilling and the transfer of wort seamless. I figured a 10 gallon would be best since I will be brewing 6.5 gallons at best. Thank you for the suggestions!

Dave

I swear by Adventures In Homebrewing's Economy ported kettles. I use a 15 two port as my boil kettle a and the 9 two port as my mashtun. Both are fantastic.

Latest posts

Back