Suggestions on a Braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
Buying tons of honey gearing up for a few meads, cyser and melomel here and the two projects I'd like to return too and have another go at are the ones I've had some success at but a lot of sad attempts. Bochet being one, Braggot the other.

out of 3 braggots only had one come out pretty damn well, and that was a Hefty braggot, scaled down version from Ken Schramm's book. Like a few of my projects I've come up with a basic no frills base, for this Braggot here's what I've got:

10lbs Blackberry honey
3lbs pale malt extract
2oz cascade hops(60min boil)
Yeast energizer and nutrient
Water to 5gal
D47 yeast

Picking up some meadowfoam and fireweed honey I had a chance to try some fresh blackberry honey and ended up walking away with a gallon of the stuff. Based on what the base is I'm imagining this will be a fairly sweet, caramel noted brew with mild bitterness. If all seems fine I'll stick with this and brew away happily. But like any recipe I like tinkering and if there's something I could do to possible step things up a bit profile wise I'd more than happily welcome the suggestions and help.

I'd thought of doing a bochet braggot but have yet to come across a recipe for one, but I'd also pick a different honey as I'd hate to kill the flavor of this honey. Any help would as always be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to my last bochet braggot experiment:

bochet braggot

After bottling I do think I wanted a heavier Carmel taste so I think I would like to try this recipe again but caramelizing all the honey and try it out.

If you make a grain (as opposed to extract) based one, adding some banana can bring out the malty sweetness.

I found that because I was experimenting with banana and put a 1lb jar of extract into the "banana juice" mead with the idea of back sweetening it. Damn it was good......

If you make a grain (as opposed to extract) based one, adding some banana can bring out the malty sweetness.

I found that because I was experimenting with banana and put a 1lb jar of extract into the "banana juice" mead with the idea of back sweetening it. Damn it was good......

I'm actually getting ready soon to make the jump to all grain hopefully. Building the kegerator and all I had to put into that kinda drained me, but I'm comfortable enough with my brewing to step it up. Just not sure when.

Had never thought to use banana, actually sounds pretty damn good.

Back