Suggestions For My Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxBrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed this black IPA recipe that I came up with by frankenstein-ing some other recipes. I drank one for the first time last night and it was really good! Most impressive was the smell, very hoppy and delish.

What I wanted to improve on was making it closer to a double black, and hopefully increasing the hop taste. Even though the beer smelled great, the hop flavor wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be. Let me know if you have some suggestions, or if you see something that will make the beer not as good.

I added the DME, more Briess, and changed the hop schedule a little, and this is what I am planning to do:

3 Gallon Batch
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
4.50 ozs 3.08 % Briess 2-Row Black Malt 60 mins 1.033
4.50 ozs 3.08 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
9.00 ozs 6.16 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
7.00 lbs 76.71 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 10.96 % Light Dry Extract 15 mins 1.044

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 34.96 Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 mins 14.00
0.50 ozs 21.17 Columbus (Tomahawk) 20 mins 14.00
0.50 ozs 12.68 Columbus (Tomahawk) 10 mins 14.00
0.60 ozs 5.98 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.60 ozs 0.00 Cascade 0 mins 5.50
0.50 ozs 0.00 Columbus (Tomahawk) 0 mins 14.00
0.80 ozs Cascade 7 days 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Mash in @ 152 for 60 minutes
Mash out @170 for 10 minutes

I have a Cascadian Dark Ale (it isn't Black IPA!... haha jk :D) that has an explosion of hop flavor and aroma. And this comes from a ton of late hop additions, including whirlpool.

Add another ounce or two to be added under the 20 minute mark. Closer to flameout/whirlpool gets the best results. Also, dry hopping for only 24-48 hours gets you the best aroma and less vegetative taste/aroma.

I have a Cascadian Dark Ale (it isn't Black IPA!... haha jk :D) that has an explosion of hop flavor and aroma. And this comes from a ton of late hop additions, including whirlpool.

Add another ounce or two to be added under the 20 minute mark. Closer to flameout/whirlpool gets the best results. Also, dry hopping for only 24-48 hours gets you the best aroma and less vegetative taste/aroma.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely try all of the above. I think I did what is called a whirlpool last time (adding hops at flameout and letting steep for 20 minutes before cooling). I think I just need more!

Got some Legacy hops from my LHBS. I'm excited to see how they are, as not many people have used them. Might use them towards the beginning and the very end of the boil.

Reno_eNVy said:
Also, dry hopping for only 24-48 hours gets you the best aroma and less vegetative taste/aroma.

Is that to say that on any recipe that calls for dry hopping that you only dry hop for 24 to 48 hours? I have never heard of doing it for such a short period of time. I normally do 7 days. Have you found that the shorter period actually works better? Might have to try it.

Is that to say that on any recipe that calls for dry hopping that you only dry hop for 24 to 48 hours? I have never heard of doing it for such a short period of time. I normally do 7 days. Have you found that the shorter period actually works better? Might have to try it.

I most certainly think it makes a difference. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

@Reno. Cool. I'll give it a try. Cool avatar too (although I'm a Crew fan).

Tried some later hop additions, along with just MORE hops haha. I had really bad efficiency on this batch of beer though :( I hope it still turns out ok. Instead of it being close to a double IPA, it's basically just a regular black IPA.

Also going to dry hop for 1-3 days, instead of 7-10 to see how that does.

Latest posts

Back