Suggestions for brewing in a basement without a floor drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledgewinston

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of relocating my home brew system to the basement of a buddy's house. Unfortunately there isn't a floor drain so we are working on figuring out an efficient way to get rid of waste water. There is however a pipe connected to the washing machine that drains it's water after use and has a spot along it that you can detach it from washing machine and easily put a hose inside of. We've come up with the idea of getting a submersible sump pump that we'll place inside of a bucket and connect to a hose that can fit inside of the washing machine drain pipe. We'd dump the waste water into the bucket and the sump pump would just shoot the water right into the drain pipe and essentially act as a drain.

Does anyone have any experience with using/setting up a situation like this? It seems like it'll work fine in theory but having no experience with this I wanted to get input from somebody that has used something like this before or can offer suggestions for something better.

Any input is much appreciated!

I pump my waste water through a garden hose to the washing machine drain pipe. I already use pumps on my single tier setup, so I just pump directly from the boil kettle to the drain. A sump pump would work, but a brewing pump might have more uses than just getting rid of waste water.

A sump pump could also be used for a keg/carboy washer as well as cleaning kegerator lines.

Back